Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Abid Khalid is an associate in a business law group at Goodmans. He is developing his practice in the areas of corporate and commercial law and banking and finance law.
Abid represents lenders and borrowers mainly on commercial financings and lending transactions, including acquisition finance, project finance, cross-border and international transactions and asset-based lending. Abid also has significant experience in the real estate industry.
Abid completed his J.D. and M.B.A. at the University of Toronto.
Abid’s representative work includes acting for:
- Syndicates of lenders in connection with various types of credit facilities totalling over $1 Billion provided to Brookfield Asset Management, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, Brookfield Energy Partners, Brookfield Business Partners, Brookfield Finance and other Brookfield affiliates
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with credit facilities provided to various technology companies including Hootsuite Inc., Fleet Complete, Lifespeak Inc. and Altus Assessments Inc.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in connection with its Rental Construction Financing Initiative to finance the construction of rental housing across Canada, acting as counsel on over $600 Million in committed loans under the program
- Twin Brook Capital Partners and Madison Capital in connection with various acquisition financings, including DW Healthcare’s acquisition of Canadian-based Bio-Agri Mix Holdings Inc.
- Onex Corporation in connection with the financing of its acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for $5 Billion
- Bank of Montreal in connection with credit facilities provided to a company in the construction industry
- Sherritt International Corporation in connection with its successful recapitalization and exit financing
- Algoma Steel Inc. in connection with its term loan and revolving financing facilities
- NexPoint Hospitality Trust in connection with its initial public offering
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association as administrative agent on numerous ABL financings
- Fiera Private Debt in connection with corporate financing work in North America
- LiUNA Pension Fund’s financing of WeedMD (now Entourage Health Corp.), a cannabis production and distribution company, for $30M
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in its acquisition of a portfolio of 24 royalties located in Canada, the U.S., Serbia and Mexico from Freeport-McMoRan
Abid has co-authored a number of articles published on Mondaq, an intelligent syndication platform providing world class content and insights from professional services firms, including on the topics of patent legislation, rules and ownership laws.
Abid is a former member of the Audit Committee of the Ontario Bar Association.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D./M.B.A.)
Law Society of Ontario