Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Chris Payne is an associate in a business law group at Goodmans. His practice is transaction based with a particular emphasis on banking and finance law. Chris has experience representing a variety of private and public companies as well as financial institutions on a range of domestic and cross-border commercial lending transactions, including acquisition finance, project finance and asset-based loans.
Chris also assists companies with corporate restructurings and regulatory matters and maintains a general corporate law practice.
Chris’ representative work includes acting for:
- Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in connection with its $2 billion acquisition financing of Mitel Networks Corporation, a global market leader in business communications.
- Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited, a Canadian-based joint venture between prominent businessman and philanthropist Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former National Basketball Association player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in financing its acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from Coca-Cola Refreshments USA, Inc., a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- Morneau Shepell Inc. in connection with its acquisition of LifeWorks Corporation Ltd. for a total purchase price of approximately $426 million
- Wells Fargo in connection with a financing deal to provide American Tire Distributors (ATD) with $1.05 billion in exit financing to support operations and future growth initiatives at ATD and ensure they emerge from bankruptcy
- Brookfield Principal Credit in connection with the US$650 million term loan provided to Bumble Bee Seafoods
- SkyPower Corp. in connection with its completion of five concurrent refinancings totalling USD$230 million by Nomura Securities International for its seven Ontario RESOP solar park projects
- CEDA/OMERS in connection with its $125 million credit facilities with Bank of Nova Scotia
- Carlyle Group in its $225 million credit facility to Empire Communities
- CE Mining in connection with a financing of Rambler Metals & Mining
- Hudson Resources in connection with a multi-lender project financing in Greenland
Chris is recognized as a Rising Star by The Legal 500 Canada for banking and finance.
Chris is a contributing author to the Acquisition and Leveraged Finance Review, Canada.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (J.D., 2013)
York University (M.A., (Economics), 2010)
University of Guelph (B.Comm, 2009)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||