Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Dan Gormley is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada for his expertise in corporate law and energy law, by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for his expertise in corporate commercial law, energy (electricity) and mergers and acquisitions, and by the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers. His experience has included one year in the firm’s former New York office and extended assignments in London and Hong Kong.
Dan has in-depth merger and acquisition and financing experience in a number of sectors. His representative work includes:
- Co-counsel in the 3-person legal teams that represented the Province of Ontario in connection with the restructurings of GM, Chrysler, Stelco and Algoma Steel
- Corporate counsel to OMERS Sponsors Corp., the governance body of the pension plan for Ontario’s municipal employees
- Lead counsel in The Maritime Life Assurance Company’s acquisitions of Aetna Life Insurance Company of Canada, Royal & Sun Alliance Company Life Insurance Company and Liberty Health
- Lead corporate/commercial counsel in the disposition of Confederation Life Insurance Company’s various blocks of insurance business, the largest financial institution insolvency in Canadian history
- Counsel to the City of Mississauga in the merger of its electricity utility Enersource with the electricity utilities of several other major Ontario municipalities to form Alectra, Inc.
- Counsel to AMP Solar Group in connection with a $150 million equity financing by Caledon Capital and a $200 million debt financing by ZOMA Capital of solar projects in Japan, USA, India and Australia
- Lead issuer’s counsel in “EDFIN”, the first pooled bond financing effected within the Ontario electricity market
- Lead counsel in Lehman Brothers’ acquisition of SkyPower, Canada’s largest independent renewable energy developer
- Lead counsel in the restructuring of Interwind, the first major CCAA restructuring undertaken within Canada’s renewable energy industry
- Lead counsel in the financing of the First Light 10MW solar park, the first utility-scale solar financing in Canada
- Lender’s counsel in the financings of tours by The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and U2
- Counsel in the divestiture of Labatt’s CPI concert business to MCA/Universal Concerts, and the sale of CPI’s merchandising division to BMG Music
- Lead counsel in the Keg Restaurants Royalty Income Fund initial public offering
- Counsel to Cineplex in the establishment of the Bank of Nova Scotia/Cineplex SCENE loyalty rewards program
Dan serves on the board of directors of Outward Bound Canada, Keg Spirit Foundation and New Start.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1984)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||