Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Gale Rubenstein serves as counsel in the Corporate Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice. She practises in the areas of commercial insolvency, corporate restructuring, pensions and regulatory matters.
Gale’s representative work includes:
- Representing the Financial Services Regulatory Authority in the restructuring of Laurentian University and the administration of Pace Credit Union
- Representing the Province of Ontario on the GM and Chrysler restructurings and GM IPO, and the Stelco and Essar Algoma restructurings, and as the provincial facilitator on public sector jointly sponsored pension plans
- Advisor to the Office of Superintendent of Financial Services with respect to financial institution recovery plans and to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation with respect to bank resolution issues
- Lead insolvency counsel to the Investors Committee for Canadian Asset-Backed Commercial Paper
- Lead counsel for the liquidators responsible for conducting the complex, cross-border liquidations of Confederation Life Insurance Company, Reliance Insurance Company Canadian Branch, among others, and the liquidations of Markham General Insurance Company, Canadian Millers and other domestic insurance businesses
Gale has been recognized as a leading practitioner of restructuring and insolvency law by legal publications including The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers in the Globe & Mail’s Report on Business Magazine, The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, IFLR 1000, Best Lawyers in Canada, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law, Law Business Research’s Who’s Who International of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal: Canada. She has an AV Preeminent™ peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Gale received the Ontario Bar Association Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law in 2013. She is a fellow of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
Gale is Chair of the Board of Trustees of the University Pension Plan, a new jointly sponsored pension plan launched in July, 2021, chairs the Independent Expert Panel reviewing the Nova Scotia Teachers Pension Plan, and is a member of the board of Outside the March, an independent, award-winning theatre company and of the CDIC Advisory Panel and of the Scarborough Health Network.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B.)
Law Society of Ontario