Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Ian Andres is a partner and heads the Municipal, Planning and Property Tax Group at Goodmans.
Ian’s practice encompasses a wide variety of municipal and land development matters for public and private sector clients throughout Ontario. He assists clients on issues ranging from by-law interpretation and enforcement to complex planning applications with significant environmental, infrastructure and heritage components. He also frequently represents landowners on property tax assessment and rebate appeals, and provides advice on development incentive and brownfield remediation programs, as well as other municipal financing, expropriation, procurement, lobbying and permit issues.
Ian regularly appears before municipal committees and councils, the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (former Ontario Municipal Board), the Toronto Local Appeal Body, the Assessment Review Board and the Superior Court of Justice.
Ian’s representative work includes acting for:
- residential subdivision developers in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for greenfield projects
- mid-rise and high-rise developers in the Greater Toronto Area in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for mixed-use infill and intensification projects
- individual property owners in connection with severance and minor variance applications and appeals
- individual property owners and tenants in connection with tax assessment appeals and expropriation matters
- municipalities, corporations and individuals in respect of court applications related to regulatory, jurisdictional and financing disputes
- municipalities and other public sector entities in connection with governance, corporate structure, financing and policy issues
In 2018, Ian was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. He was also selected by his peers in Best Lawyers in Canada (2019) for his work in municipal and real estate law, and he is recognized as an Up and Coming zoning and land use lawyer in Chambers Canada (2019).
Ian teaches planning law at the University of Toronto as part of its Master’s in Planning program. He is a long-time member of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA) Municipal Law Section Executive and is currently serving as its Past Chair. He has participated in various OBA subcommittees and focus groups, authored several research papers, and is a frequent presenter at conferences and seminars.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., with Honours Standing, 2006)
University of Toronto (B.A., Honours, with Distinction, 2002)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||