Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Jeff Citron is a partner in the Banking and Finance Law, Hospitality Law and Entertainment and Sports Law Groups at Goodmans. His multi-faceted practice focuses primarily on corporate lending and credit restructurings, luxury mixed-use hotel and residential resort developments and sports law matters.
In 35 years of practice in the banking and finance area, Jeff has developed extensive experience acting for both lenders and borrowers in complex domestic and international secured lending transactions and debt restructuring transactions. Jeff is banking counsel to, among others, Cineplex Inc., Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited, The Clairvest Group, The Kilmer Group and Dexterra Group Inc. Jeff also regularly represents Bank of Montreal in connection with hotel related financings, and has acted from time to time for The Toronto-Dominion Bank, Fortress Credit Corp., GE Capital, Algoma Steel Inc., among others.
In the Hospitality Law area, Jeff has extensive experience representing owners and operators of hotels and resorts with the acquisition, financing, operation and management of hotels, resorts and mixed-use projects worldwide. Jeff acts for Auberge Resorts in negotiating luxury private residence development agreements and financing agreements for the development and operation of these properties.
In the Sports Law area, Jeff also advises current and former athletes and their agents and advisors.
Jeff’s representative work includes acting for:
- Cineplex Inc. in connection with its 2021 issuance of $250 Million of Senior Secured Second Lien Notes Due 2026
- Dexterra Group Inc. in 2020 and 2021 in connection with its $200 Million Secured Credit Facilities with The Bank of Nova Scotia and other lenders
- The Ad Hoc Committee of senior secured noteholders of Calfrac Well Services in Calfrac’s complex restructuring under the Canada Business Corporations Act and the issuance of 1.5 Lien Senior Secured Convertible PIK Notes Due 2023
- Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited, a Canadian-based joint venture between prominent businessman and philanthropist Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former National Basketball Association player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in financing its acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from Coca-Cola Refreshments USA, Inc., a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- Auberge Hotels and Resorts in connection with the preparation and negotiation of residential management agreements for the Hotel Jerome, Auberge Resorts Collection, Chileno Bay Resort and Residences, Auberge Resorts Collection, Esperanza, Auberge Resorts Collection, Stanly Ranch, Auberge Resorts Collection, as well as numerous other residential properties operated by Auberge in various resort destinations
Jeff has been recognized as a leading banking and finance lawyer by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Lawyers, IFLR 1000, Chambers Global and Best Lawyers in Canada. Jeff is also recognized by Who's Who Legal: Sports & Gaming 2021 as one of Canada’s leading sports lawyers and Chambers Canada 2022 for his exceptional work in Hospitality.
Early in his career as a partner at Goodmans, Jeff took leave from Goodmans to act as full-time associate counsel to the National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA) and was lead NHLPA counsel in drafting the 1995 collective bargaining agreement. In addition, Jeff acted as lead NHLPA representative on the Investment Committee of the NHL Players Pension Plan, as well as chairman and secretary of the board of trustees for the NHL Players Pension Plan from 1999-2001.
Jeff has been published in the National Banking Law Review, the University of British Columbia Law Review and in various sports publications on issues involving the business of sports. Jeff has been a frequent guest lecturer on collective bargaining in sports and the business of sports at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law and Osgoode Hall Law School.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., Dean's Honour List, 1985)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||