Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Joe Latham is a partner in the Corporate Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice.
His practice focuses primarily on commercial insolvencies, including bankruptcies, receiverships and financial and corporate restructurings. Joe regularly advises on Canadian and cross-border matters, and has represented purchasers, debtors, financial institutions, creditor groups and court officers, including monitors, information officers, receivers and trustees in bankruptcy.
Joe’s representative work includes acting for:
- • the ABL agent and/or lenders, including in proceedings involving Sears Canada, Hollander Sleep Products, Orbite Technologies, Arc Productions, Hart Stores, Arctic Glacier, Consumers Packaging, AG Simpson, Colonial Cookies and Coppley Apparel
- the term loan agent and/or lenders, including in proceedings involving Essar Algoma Steel, Rockport, Performance Sports, White Birch Paper, Allied Systems Holdings, Allied Track Services, Lightstream and Cow Harbour
- the purchaser/acquiror of a distressed business, including in proceedings involving Essar Algoma Steel, White Birch Paper, Hamilton Specialty Bar and Waterford-Wedgwood/Royal Doulton
- the debtor or their shareholders, including in proceedings involving Yatsen Group (Sarku Japan), Metro 360, Hamilton Specialty Bar, Harvest Ontario Partners, Harvest Fraser Richmond Organics, Eddie Bauer, Graceway Pharmaceuticals, Ivanhoe Energy, Chemtura, NRI Industries, Accuride and The Canadian Red Cross Society
- the court-appointed monitor in proceedings involving Great Slave Helicopters, Discovery Air, HB White, InterTan Canada (Circuit City) and Philip Services
- the court-appointed receiver of One King West hotel, SKD Automotive, TCT Logistics, Hunjan International, Sanan Construction, Maxlink Communications, Anicom Multimedia, International Wallcoverings and Med-Chem Health Care
- the Israeli Court officer in Canadian proceedings involving Urbancorp Inc
- the regulator in administration proceedings involving PACE Credit Union Limited
Joe is identified as a leading insolvency and restructuring lawyer by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, IFLR 1000, Who’s Who Legal Canada and by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. He is also recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada for insolvency and restructuring and banking and finance. His Martindale Hubbell listing includes a peer review rating indicating Joe has an exemplary reputation and well-established practice.
Joe has been an Instructor in the Bar Admission Course for the Law Society of Ontario, an occasional lecturer at the University of Western Ontario Law School, and an adjunct professor at the University of Western Ontario Law School where he developed and taught a course on commercial insolvency. He has been a speaker at numerous legal education seminars and a number of his papers have been published in various forms.
Joe is the Past President of the Turnaround Management Association, Toronto Chapter.
|Education|| Stanford University (Doctor of the Science of Jurisprudence, 1991)
University of Western Ontario (LL.B., 1988)
Insolvency Institute of Canada
|Year of Call||