Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
John Alton is a partner in the Pension, Benefits and Compensation, Corporate and Commercial, and Technology Groups at Goodmans. His pension and benefits practice draws on over 25 years of experience in corporate and commercial transactions to provide practical and efficient advice. John frequently assists clients from other jurisdictions to navigate Canada’s pension and benefits laws. He reviews and negotiates pension and benefits issues in share and asset purchases, loan transactions, corporate restructurings and insolvencies. He advises on pension plan design, amendment, governance and compliance.
John advises private equity buyers, sellers, lenders, borrowers, management, unions and regulators in a variety of situations, including those involving auction transactions, multi-national corporations, and single, multi-employer and shared risk pension plans.
John’s corporate and commercial practice has included providing strategic and transaction advice to private and public corporations and Canada’s federal and provincial governments on aviation, intellectual property and information technology matters.
John’s recent representative pension and benefits work includes acting for:
- The Ad Hoc Committee of Lenders of Cirque du Soleil in the successful global transaction valued at approximately US$1.215 billion.
- Rogers Communications Inc. in connection with its $26 billion acquisition of Shaw Communications Inc., combining Canada’s two largest cable providers.
- ONEX Corporation in its agreement to acquire all outstanding shares of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for CAD$5 billion
- Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited in the acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from Coca-Cola Refreshments USA, Inc., a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- The Superintendent of Financial Services (Ontario) and the Province of Ontario in connection with the restructuring of Stelco Inc. (formerly US Steel Canada Inc.)
John has been a speaker and instructor at various programs at the Canadian Bar Association and Law Society of Ontario. He has written for both Canadian and international publications.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1981)
Yale University (B.A., 1977)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||