Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Joe Cosentino is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on construction law, construction contracts and commercial litigation.
Joe’s construction law practice involves negotiating major contracts, litigating liens and resolving disputes for owners, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and lenders. His practice also involves a broad range of commercial litigation matters, including bankruptcy/insolvency litigation.
Joe regularly negotiates and drafts complex construction contracts on various high profile, high value infrastructure and other large capital projects throughout Ontario. He has also worked with owners, contractors and architects in updating and supplementing their Canadian Construction Documents Committee (CCDC) and other types of contract documents. Joe has in-depth experience in litigating complex construction disputes, including arbitration proceedings between owners, developers, contractors and subcontractors.
Joe’s representative work includes acting for
- RioCan REIT (TSX:REI.UN), Allied Properties REIT (TSX:AP.UN) and Diamondcorp (collectively, "The Well JV" – a mixed use development) in connection with the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts with respect to the underground structures, condominium podiums, retail and condominium rental tower, and the drafting of the construction contracts for RioCan and Woodbourne on various other buildings in The Well development
- Revera Inc. in connection with the re-development and construction of long term care facilities
- various developers in relation to the drafting of architect and construction management and trade contracts for major condominium projects in Toronto and elsewhere in Canada
- specialty contractors of large scale solar and wind energy construction projects with respect to contract drafting and litigation matters
- the owner with respect to ongoing development and construction of a new mixed use, high density project in Vaughan, Ontario
- a large general contractor in connection with various construction related litigation matters in Ontario and Quebec
- specialty trade contractors in connection with significant claims regarding various infrastructure, condominium and industrial projects
- Toys “R” Us Canada in its CCAA proceedings that involved various construction lien matters
Joe is recognized as a leading construction lawyer by Chambers Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Best Lawyers in Canada and Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides. He is also recognized in the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers and is featured as a stand-out lawyer by Acritas Stars.
Joe is a frequent speaker and contributor to a number of industry trade publications and associations. He is the editor of Canadian Forms & Precedents, Debtor/Creditor, Chapter on Construction Liens and the editor of the firm’s Construction Law Update Newsletter. He has conducted in-house symposiums for private contractors on construction issues, best practices and current developments in construction law, with a particular recent emphasis on the changes being brought about by the implementation of the Construction Act.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1995)
University of Toronto (M.A.. History, 1991)
University of Toronto (B.A., Hons. in Political Science and History, 1990)
Law Society of Ontario