Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Justine is an associate in the Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group at Goodmans. Her practice includes all aspects of competition law and foreign investment review, with a focus on domestic and multinational mergers and joint ventures.
She also provides strategic advice to clients in respect of criminal and civil investigations, including allegations of conspiracy and abuse of dominance, as well as other reviewable practices and compliance matters.
Justine advises domestic and foreign clients on the application of the Investment Canada Act, and has recent experience guiding clients through industrial, cultural and national security processes and reviews.
Justine has extensive experience with e-discovery processes related to merger reviews, civil and criminal investigations, and internal investigations. She draws on this experience to assist clients to comply with government requests and orders in a timely and efficient manner.
Justine’s representative work includes acting for:
- Onex Corporation in connection with its C$5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Inc.
- Essilor International S.A. in connection with its €46-billion combination with Luxottica Group S.p.A.
- GE in connection with the merger of its Oil & Gas business with Baker Hughes to create a combined company with approximately $23 billion in annual revenue
- Bass Pro Group in connection with its US$5.5-billion acquisition of Cabela's
- a Canadian client in defence of criminal and civil class action allegations of price fixing
Foreign Investment Review
- Newmont Mining Corporation in connection with its US$10 billion merger with Goldcorp Inc.
- Altria Inc. in connection with its C$2.4 billion minority investment in the Cronos Group Inc.
Justine serves as the Chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s (CBA’s) Competition Law Section’s Young Lawyers Committee and Co-Young Lawyer Representative of the ABA’s Section of Antitrust Law’s Competition Laws Outside the United States Committee.
Justine is the co-author of the “Canada” chapters of the 2020 Law Reviews’ Public Competition Enforcement Review and Foreign Investment Regulation Review. She is also the co-author of the “Private Actions in the United States, Canada and Europe” chapter of the 2018 Global Competition Review’s Guide to Energy Market Manipulation.
Justine regularly speaks on topics related to competition, foreign investment review, and diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
|Education|| University of Ottawa (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
University of Toronto (B.A., High Distinction, 2011)
Law Society of Ontario