Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Ken Herlin is a partner in the Commercial Real Estate Group at Goodmans. His practice is transaction based with a particular emphasis on commercial real estate purchases and sales, financing and leasing.
He has an active commercial leasing practice, which includes representing landlords, tenants and lenders in respect of ground leases.
Ken has worked on the real estate, financing and leasing aspects of numerous insolvencies and restructurings in the laboratory, movie theatre, grocery and retail industries. He has significant REIT experience having been involved in the establishment, financing and disposition of REITs and income funds.
Ken’s representative work includes:
- Cineplex Restructuring and IPO
- Sale of Eddie Bauer Canada Retail Division
- Alvarez & Marsal Canada, monitor of Target Canada in Target’s CCAA filing
- Golf Town in its CCAA filing and sale
- Toys “R” Us Canada in its CCAA filing and sale to Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited
- CAPREIT, RESREIT, Allied Properties REIT and Crombie REIT in their IPOs
- Crombie REIT- Independent Trustees-Purchase of Safeway Portfolio
- Greenrock Real Estate Advisors- Sale of leasehold and freehold interests in a residential apartment building portfolio to CAPREIT
Purchases and Sales
- CML HealthCare disposition of Medical Imaging Portfolio
- CNL Acquisition and Disposition of Ski Hill Assets
- Osmington sale of Torstar 1 Yonge Street Head Office
- Slate/Blackstone Sale of Ontario and Alberta Office Portfolio
- Slate/Incore Purchase of GE Ontario Office Portfolio
- Roots sale of North American retail chain
- Kilmer acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company
- 271 Front Street Telco Lease to Equinix
- Knightstone Student Residence Ground Leases in Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario
- RBC Dominion Securities- RESREIT (now CAPREIT) Residential Apartment Operating Leases
- Teachers’ Pension Plan Secured Financing of Parmalat Canada
- TD and BMO Financings of Q9 Networks Inc.
Ken is named in the peer-rated Best Lawyers in Canada guide as a leading lawyer in the areas of commercial leasing law and real estate law.
Ken has co-authored a chapter in Tenant's Rights and Remedies in a Commercial Lease and contributed to The Commercial Lease - A Practical Guide (both published by Canada Law Book Inc.).
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 1988)
McGill University (B.Comm., 1985)
Law Society of Ontario