Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Bertrand is a partner in the Banking and Finance Group at Goodmans.
He has a broad financing practice that includes many industries, with a particular emphasis on transactions involving corporate lending, acquisition finance, construction loans, real estate finance, private placements and bond offerings. Michael often represents U.S.-based financial institutions and private equity sponsors in cross-border financings and secured transactions.
Michael practised at a large international firm in New York City from 2001 to 2005.
Michael’s representative work includes acting for:
- syndicates of bilateral lenders in connection with revolving operating facilities provided to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, Brookfield Energy Partners, Brookfield Business Partners and other affiliated entities
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with a term loan and operating facility provided to Hootsuite Inc.
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. and Anchorage Capital Group in connection with a $380 million bridge facility to support a Canadian construction project
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a syndicated $295 million multi-phase construction loan facility to Friday Harbour Resort
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a US$2.5 billion loan facility to fund the acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties
- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in connection with the refinancing of its long-term debt facilities
- Postmedia Network Inc., Four Seasons Hotels Limited and other Canadian-based businesses in connection with various refinancing transactions
- One Rock Capital Partners, Advent International, Apax Partners, Clairvest Group, Wind Point Partners, Chicago Growth Partners and a number of other private equity sponsors on the financing of various acquisitions
Michael is recognized by Chambers Canada 2021 as an “Up and Coming” lawyer in Banking and Finance Law (Nationwide) and by The Legal 500 Canada 2021 as a “Next Generation Partner” in Banking and Finance Law. He is also recognized as a leading practitioner in the 2015 through 2021 editions of Best Lawyers in Canada, is “repeatedly recommended” by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Banking and Finance Law and is “Highly Regarded” in Banking and Finance by IFLR 1000.
CHARITY WORK/PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT
Michael sits on the Modern and Contemporary Curatorial Committee of the Art Gallery of Ontario and is an avid supporter of the museum. Michael is also a member of the advisory board to Practical Law Canada – Finance section.
|Education|| Queen's University (LL.B.)
University of Winnipeg (B.A., with highest distinction)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||