Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Sarah Stothart is an associate in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. She is developing her practice in corporate commercial litigation, with a focus on class actions, securities, and technology issues. She acts for and advises clients on a variety of litigation matters, including complex contractual disputes, intellectual property issues, securities and shareholder disputes, and issues relating to fiduciary, statutory and regulatory obligations.
Sarah previously practiced in the Litigation and Securities groups at Morrison & Foerster LLP in Palo Alto, California. She is licensed to practice in both Ontario and California.
Sarah has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Competition Tribunal, and the Supreme Court of Canada. She has also appeared in the U.S. before the Delaware Court of Chancery.
Sarah’s representative work includes acting for:
- Atlantic Lottery Corporation on a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, where the Court overturned a certification order and dismissed a class action relating to video lottery terminals and clarified the law relating to waiver of tort
- Vancouver Airport Authority in successful defence of an application brought by the Commissioner of Competition before the Competition Tribunal, seeking orders pursuant to section 79 of the Competition Act
- two directors in connection with an investigation of alleged insider trading by a company special committee and Ontario Securities Commission
- a large technology and database management company in connection with the interpretation of clauses allowing for the use of licenses in virtualized environments
- a large advertising and public relations company in an action commenced against former senior executives for breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of corporate opportunity
From 2017 to 2019, Sarah sat on the Board of Directors of Newcomer Women’s Services Toronto, a non-profit organization offering employment, settlement, and language services for newcomer women.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 2016)
Queen's University (B.A. (with Distinction), 2013)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||