Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Tom Spelt is an associate in a business law group at Goodmans. He is developing his practice in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and employment law.
Tom frequently represents both public and private companies in relation to merger and acquisition transactions and employment matters. He also regularly assists public companies with respect to their public offerings and financings, and advises on corporate governance and disclosure obligations. In addition, Tom represents companies involved in contested shareholder matters, and has acted for both dissident shareholders and boards of directors.
Before joining Goodmans, Tom worked in the Legislation, Ethics and Compliance Department of Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
While attending law school, Tom was named to the Dean’s List and was awarded the Queen’s University Entrance Scholarship in Law and the Queen’s Law Prize in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Tom’s representative work includes acting for:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Newmont Corporation in its proposed $393 million acquisition of GT Gold Corp.
- Shandong Gold Mining (HongKong) Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of Cardinal Resources Ltd.
- Newmont Corporation in its divestment of Red Lake Mines
- McCain Capital Partners Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Chair-man Mills Corp.
- Street Capital Group Inc. on its sale to RFA Capital Inc.
- Newmont Corporation in its private placement with Irving Resources Inc.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation on numerous construction loans to non-profit agencies and for-profit developers across Canada in connection with its Rental Construction Financing Initiative, as part of the Federal Government of Canada’s $40-billion National Housing Strategy
- The issuer in connection with various follow-on public offerings
Corporate Governance & Continuous Disclosure
- Source Energy Services Ltd. in its successful CBCA recapitalization transaction
- Multiple TSX and dual-listed companies in connection with the drafting of public disclosure documents, and advising on corporate governance and securities compliance matters
|Education|| Queen's University, Faculty of Law (J.D., 2017)
University of Toronto (Honours B.A., with High Distinction, in Economic History, History, and French, 2013)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||