William (Bill) Gorman
Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Bill Gorman is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans. He specializes in securities and corporate law with a practice focusing on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance matters. Bill regularly represents issuers and underwriters on domestic and cross-border initial public offerings, follow-on financings and private placements of debt and equity securities. Bill has been extensively involved in the development of the Canadian REIT and income fund sector. Bill also advises boards of directors and special committees with respect to governance and compliance matters.
Before joining Goodmans, Bill acted as legal counsel in the Corporate Finance Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission.
Bill’s representative work includes acting for:
- Canaccord Genuity Growth II Corp. in connection with its $537 million qualifying transaction with Taiga Motors Inc.
- Dye & Durham Limited in its initial public offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Mercer Park Brand Acquisition Corp. and Canaccord Genuity Growth II Corp. in their initial public offerings and listings on the NEO Exchange
- Canaccord Genuity Acquisition Corp. in its $30,000,000 initial public offering and subsequent merger with Spark Power Group Inc. as its qualifying acquisition
- Paulson & Co. Inc. in connection with numerous private placement investments in Canada and its proxy solicitation to replace the board of Detour Gold Corporation
- NexPoint Hospitality Trust in its cross-border initial public offering and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange
- Kew Media Group Inc. in connection with its $70,000,000 initial public offering and subsequent roll up of eleven media content companies as its qualifying acquistion
- Atlantic Power Corporation in connection with its cross-border initial public offering of income participating securities, a corporate reorganization transaction, a significant merger transction and numerous equity and debt offerings
- Plaza Retail REIT in connection with its conversion to a REIT structure and numerous debt and equity offerings
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in connection with its initial public offering and numerous acquisitions, debt and equity financings
- the underwriters for numerous debt, equity and preferred share offerings of Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P., Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P., Brookfield Property Partners L.P. and Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
- the special committee of trustees of Crombie Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with its acquistion of a portfolio of properties from Empire Company Ltd.
Bill is recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate finance and securities by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada and the Legal 500 Canada. He is also ranked in the 2021 Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A leading lawyers and recognized as an up and coming lawyer by Chambers Global in the area of Corporate/M&A.
Bill is the editor and a significant contributor to the Canadian REIT Handbook published by the Real Property Association of Canada.
|Education|| University of British Columbia (LL.B., 1996)
University of Alberta (B.Comm., 1992)
Law Society of Ontario