The Government of Canda is providing financial support to critical air services in Northern and remote communities. Support is also being provided to airport authorities that pay rent to the federal government as well as to PortsToronto. The following provides a brief summary of these government programs, including details relating to eligibility, how to apply and general terms and conditions, as applicable. We will endeavour to update this page on a daily basis. However, for a complete and up to date description, please consult the applicable program webpage. Should you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to a Goodmans lawyer. Programs include:
- Continuing the Supply of Essential Goods and Services to Remote Fly-In Communities
- Waiving Ground Lease Rents
Continuing the Supply of Essential Goods and Services to Remote Fly-In Communities
- A total of$17.3 million is being provided to the Yukon ($3.6 million), Northwest Territories ($8.7 million), and Nunavut ($5 million) governments to support critical air services to northern and remote communities.
- Air services companies who serve the Territories’ northern and remote communities.
How to apply
- No application necessary. The territorial governments will allocate funding to various air services companies.
- The details about the duration of the program have not been released.
Waiving Ground Lease Rents
- The federal government is waiving ground lease rents from March 2020 to December 2020 for 21 airport authorities that pay rent to the federal government. The government is providing comparable treatment for PortsToronto which operates Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.
- This program provides relief of up to $331.4 million.
- Airport authorities that pay rent to the federal government. See here for the full list.
How to apply
- Automatic waiver for airport authorities that pay rent to the federal government and PortsToronto.