Law Clerk, Corporate Services
Goodmans LLP is recognized internationally as one of Canada’s premier transaction law firms because our lawyers and clients are industry leaders. Our lawyers excel in their fields to help clients excel in theirs – both ensuring ever-higher levels of service and business success. Further, we offer a unique combination of skills – spanning business law and litigation, public and private, tradition and innovation.
We are currently seeking an experienced Corporate Law Clerk to join our Corporate Services team. The ideal candidate will have between 8 and 15 years’ experience as a Corporate Clerk in a law firm. This role works with the Firm’s Business Law Practice Groups and is involved in all aspects of the Corporate Services practice from maintenance of minute books and corporate records to providing integral support for a variety of interesting and complex transactions.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Drafting documentation and handling of corporate filings for private and public companies, including routine maintenance, annual updates and principal transactional documents;
- Conducting minute book reviews including the analysis of actions required and preparation of remedial documentation;
- Maintaining minute books and corporate records; and
- Liaising with lawyers, clients, third party service providers and government offices as required.
The ideal candidate possesses the following:
- 8 to 15 years of relevant experience gained in a law firm;
- University degree and/or law clerk program college diploma, Institute of Law Clerks (Ontario) accreditation program (or equivalent);
- Excellent knowledge of the Ontario Business Corporations Act, Canada Business Corporations Act, Limited Partnerships Act, and Business Names Act;
- Familiarity with not-for-profit legislation considered an asset;
- strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Client-service mindset;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Dedicated, dependable and flexible team player with the ability to take initiative, pitch-in wherever needed, and execute responsibilities independently and with minimal supervision where required;
- Ability to juggle many files at once, and to prioritize work in a time-sensitive and fast-paced environment;
- Experience with MinuteBox or other corporate database;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook; and
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate the Firm’s needs and to respond to urgent client requests outside of normal business hours, as required.
Please send your cover letter and resumé to Shazia Banduk, Co-Director, Legal Talent, Goodmans LLP via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Goodmans LLP, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Goodmans LLP invites applications from all qualified candidates. Goodmans LLP is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.