Ira Berg is a partner in a Business Law Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on commercial real estate and public/private partnership projects.
Ira’s practice covers all aspects of commercial real estate acting for owners, developers, landlords, tenants, purchasers and vendors and involves the planning, drafting and negotiating of a wide range of commercial real estate contracts and agreements. Ira has extensive experience in complex real estate financing transactions, acting for borrowers, syndicates, banks and trust companies. Ira has extensive experience in public/private infrastructure projects and has acted for both public and private sector participants.
Ira’s representative work includes acting for:
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s modernization of gaming in Ontario
- the private sector development of the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games Athletes’ Village project
- Infrastructure Ontario and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation in connection with the design, build, finance, operate and maintain project for the 23 service centres located on Highways 400 and 401 in the Province of Ontario
- the Province of Ontario with the structuring, negotiation and documentation of the C$1 billion toll road project known as Highway 407 which was the first all electronic toll road in the world
- the subsequent privatization and sale of Highway 407 by the Government of Ontario
Ira has been recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Canada for real estate and gaming & licensing. Chambers Canada says that sources describe Ira as “very practical, very responsive, and he does the project manager role well.” He has also been recognized by the Legal 500 (Infrastructure and Real Estate), Best Lawyers in Canada (real estate), Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides (real estate), The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (property development and infrastructure law), IFLR 1000 (project finance) and the Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers in the Globe & Mail’s Report on Business.
The Law Society of Ontario
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
The Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships