Gale Rubenstein serves as counsel in the Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice. She practises in the areas of commercial insolvency, corporate restructuring, pensions and regulatory matters.
Throughout her career, Gale has been recognized as a leading practitioner of restructuring and insolvency law by publications including Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, IFLR 1000, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law, Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency, Who’s Who Legal: Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory , the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers and The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada.
Gale received the Ontario Bar Association Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law in 2013. She is a fellow of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
Gale’s representative work includes:
- Representing the Financial Services Regulatory Authority in the restructuring of Laurentian University and the administration of Pace Credit Union
- Representing the Province of Ontario on the GM and Chrysler restructurings and GM IPO, and the Stelco and Essar Algoma restructurings, and as the provincial facilitator on public sector jointly sponsored pension plans
- Advisor to the Office of Superintendent of Financial Services with respect to financial institution recovery plans and to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation with respect to bank resolution issues
- Lead insolvency counsel to the Investors Committee for Canadian Asset-Backed Commercial Paper
- Lead counsel for the liquidators responsible for conducting the complex, cross-border liquidations of Confederation Life Insurance Company, Reliance Insurance Company Canadian Branch, among others, and the liquidations of Markham General Insurance Company, Canadian Millers and other domestic insurance businesses
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Senior Statespeople, Restructuring/Insolvency 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Employee Benefits Law, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, Insurance Law 2023
Who's Who Legal Recommended National Leader, Restructuring and Insolvency 2022
Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law Recognized, Restructuring and Insolvency 2022
Legal Media Group's Expert Guides Recognized, Banking, Finance and Transactional 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Expert Consultant, Restructuring & Insolvency 2022
Gale is the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the University Pension Plan, a new jointly sponsored pension plan launched in July, 2021, chairs the Independent Expert Panel reviewing the Nova Scotia Teachers Pension Plan, and is a member of the boards of Algoma Steel Group Inc., the Scarborough Health Network, Outside the March, an independent, award-winning theatre company, and of the CDIC Advisory Panel.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B.
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- INSOL International
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
Call to Bar
Employment, Pensions and Executive CompensationThe federal pension regulator, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) has announced actions to address issues stemming from COVID-19 faced by federally registered pension…
Dispute ResolutionThis Update includes the considerations to keep in mind while evaluating the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian Pension Plans, from both an employer perspective and a transactional perspective…
Dispute ResolutionOn Thursday, May 31, the New Brunswick government tabled legislation for a new pension model developed by its Task Force on Protecting Pensions…
News & Events
We are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across several Expert Guides 2022 editions. Recognition from Expert Guides is based on peer review, and demonstrates our lawyers…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…