Gale Rubenstein serves as counsel in the Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice. She practises in the areas of commercial insolvency, corporate restructuring, pensions and regulatory matters.
Throughout her career, Gale has been recognized as a leading practitioner of restructuring and insolvency law by publications including Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, IFLR 1000, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law, Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency, Who’s Who Legal: Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory , the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers and The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada.
Gale received the Ontario Bar Association Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law in 2013. She is a fellow of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
Gale’s representative work includes:
- Representing the Financial Services Regulatory Authority in the restructuring of Laurentian University and the administration of Pace Credit Union
- Representing the Province of Ontario on the GM and Chrysler restructurings and GM IPO, and the Stelco and Essar Algoma restructurings, and as the provincial facilitator on public sector jointly sponsored pension plans
- Advisor to the Office of Superintendent of Financial Services with respect to financial institution recovery plans and to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation with respect to bank resolution issues
- Lead insolvency counsel to the Investors Committee for Canadian Asset-Backed Commercial Paper
- Lead counsel for the liquidators responsible for conducting the complex, cross-border liquidations of Confederation Life Insurance Company, Reliance Insurance Company Canadian Branch, among others, and the liquidations of Markham General Insurance Company, Canadian Millers and other domestic insurance businesses
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Insurance Law 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Employee Benefits Law 2023
IFLR1000 Canada Expert Consultant, Restructuring & Insolvency 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Insurance Law 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Employee Benefits Law, Employment and Labour 2022
Gale is the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the University Pension Plan, a new jointly sponsored pension plan launched in July, 2021, chairs the Independent Expert Panel reviewing the Nova Scotia Teachers Pension Plan, and is a member of the boards of Algoma Steel Group Inc., the Scarborough Health Network, Outside the March, an independent, award-winning theatre company, and of the CDIC Advisory Panel.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B.
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- INSOL International
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
Call to Bar
Employment, Pensions and Executive CompensationThe federal pension regulator, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) has announced actions to address issues stemming from COVID-19 faced by federally registered pension…
Dispute ResolutionThis Update includes the considerations to keep in mind while evaluating the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian Pension Plans, from both an employer perspective and a transactional perspective…
Dispute ResolutionOn Thursday, May 31, the New Brunswick government tabled legislation for a new pension model developed by its Task Force on Protecting Pensions…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
We are proud to announce that we have once again been recognized as a top Canadian firm in the Chambers Global 2022 Guide.Chambers Global ranks the top lawyers and law firms in over…