Ian Andres is a partner and heads the Municipal and Land Development Group at Goodmans.
Ian’s practice encompasses a wide variety of administrative law matters for public and private sector clients throughout Ontario. He specializes in municipal and planning issues, assisting clients on complex development applications and land use policy appeals with significant growth management, infrastructure, servicing, environmental and heritage components. He frequently represents property owners in expropriation proceedings, court applications, tax assessment and rebate appeals, and has extensive experience with land valuation, development charges, tax incentive grants and brownfield remediation programs. He also provides advice on a broad range of other municipal issues including governance, accountability, by-law interpretation, financing, taxation, licensing, permitting, procurement and lobbying.
Ian regularly appears before municipal committees and councils, the Ontario Land Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board and Local Planning Appeal Tribunal), the Toronto Local Appeal Body, the Assessment Review Board and the Superior Court of Justice.
In 2018, Ian was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. He was recently selected by his peers in Best Lawyers in Canada (2023) for his work in administrative, public, municipal and real estate law, and he is ranked in Band 4 in real estate: zoning and land use law by Chambers Canada (2023).
Ian’s representative work includes acting for:
- residential subdivision developers in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for greenfield projects and the creation of new communities
- mid-rise and high-rise developers in the Greater Toronto Area in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for mixed-use infill and intensification projects
- individual property owners in connection with severance and minor variance applications and appeals
- individual property owners and tenants in connection with tax assessment appeals and expropriation matters
- municipalities and other public sector entities in respect of governance, regulatory, jurisdictional and financing disputes
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Recognized, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use Ontario 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Administrative and Public Law, Municipal Law, Real Estate Law 2023
Chambers Canada Ranked, Up and Coming, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use - Ontario 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Administrative and Public Law, Municipal Law, Real Estate Law 2022
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Repeatedly Recommended, Property Development 2022
Chambers Canada Up and Coming, Commercial Real Estate 2021
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2006, with Honours Standing
- University of Toronto, B.A., 2002, Honours with Distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association, Past Chair of Municipal Law Section Executive
Call to Bar
- 2007 Ontario
EnvironmentalThe Government of Ontario recently introduced legislation that proposes to combine an existing cluster of five land and environmental tribunals into a single entity called the Ontario Land Tribunal…
News & Events
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
We are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…