Ian Andres is a partner and heads the Municipal and Land Development Group at Goodmans.
Ian’s practice encompasses a wide variety of administrative law matters for public and private sector clients throughout Ontario. He specializes in municipal and planning issues, assisting clients on complex development applications and land use policy appeals with significant growth management, infrastructure, servicing, environmental and heritage components. He frequently represents property owners in expropriation proceedings, court applications, tax assessment and rebate appeals, and has extensive experience with land valuation, development charges, tax incentive grants and brownfield remediation programs. He also provides advice on a broad range of other municipal issues including governance, accountability, by-law interpretation, financing, taxation, licensing, permitting, procurement and lobbying.
Ian regularly appears before municipal committees and councils, the Ontario Land Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board and Local Planning Appeal Tribunal), the Toronto Local Appeal Body, the Assessment Review Board and the Superior Court of Justice.
In 2018, Ian was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. He has been selected by his peers in The Best Lawyers in Canada for his work in administrative, public, municipal and real estate law. He is also recognized in real estate: zoning and land use law by Chambers Canada and in property development by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, and featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure.
Ian’s representative work includes acting for:
- residential subdivision developers in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for greenfield projects and the creation of new communities
- mid-rise and high-rise developers in the Greater Toronto Area in respect of land use policy and planning approvals for mixed-use infill and intensification projects
- individual property owners in connection with severance and minor variance applications and appeals
- individual property owners and tenants in connection with tax assessment appeals and expropriation matters
- municipalities and other public sector entities in respect of governance, regulatory, jurisdictional and financing disputes
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Recognized, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use Ontario 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Municipal Law, Real Estate Law 2024
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Property Deveopment 2023
Chambers Canada Recognized, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use Ontario 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Administrative and Public Law, Municipal Law, Real Estate Law 2023
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2006, with Honours Standing
- University of Toronto, B.A., 2002, Honours with Distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association, Past Chair of Municipal Law Section Executive
Call to Bar
- 2007 Ontario
EnvironmentalThe Government of Ontario recently introduced legislation that proposes to combine an existing cluster of five land and environmental tribunals into a single entity called the Ontario Land Tribunal…
News & Events
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
Construction and InfrastructureWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure 2023 has once again recognized Goodmans LLP lawyers among Canada's experts in the infrastructure…