Kari MacKay is a partner in a business law group and heads the Mining Group at Goodmans. Her practice is transaction based, involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular emphasis on the structuring and execution of a variety of transactions, including complex international mergers and combination transactions and multi-creditor financing arrangements.
Kari also assists companies with their governance and disclosure work. She often represents issuers, private companies and financing parties, many of which are in the Mining and Natural Resource sector.
In connection with her mining practice, Kari has extensive experience at all stages of project development, including with respect to acquisitions, royalty agreements, joint ventures, project financing, including royalty and streaming transactions, technical reporting, off-take agreements and dispositions of assets.
Kari is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, IFLR1000, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Lexpert Special Edition: Mining, The Legal 500 Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Kari’s representative work includes acting for:
- HudBay Minerals Inc. in connection with corporate and strategic initiatives, including its recent proxy contest launched by Waterton Resources; its various acquisitions, including Mason Resources Inc. (principal asset being the Ann Mason project in Nevada) and $540 million hostile take-over bid for Augusta Resources Corp. and subsequent $555 million friendly acquisition; US$920 million offerings of senior secured notes; the US$1.5 billion investment to fund the development and construction of its Constancia copper mine in Peru that included a US$750 million precious metals stream transaction with Wheaton Precious Metals Inc.
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in connection with its US$1.3 billion stream financing transaction with First Quantum Minerals Ltd. in respect of its Cobre Panama project; US$120 million stream financing transaction, in syndication with Sandstorm Gold Inc., to True Gold Mining Inc.; and its US$135 million stream financing transaction with Teranga Gold Corporation
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in connection with various acquisitions and dispositions of assets, financing matters and technical reporting, including the recent acquisitions of JDS Silver Holdings, Ltd. (principal asset: Silvertip mine in B.C.) and Northern Empire Resources Corp. (principal asset: Sterling project in Nevada)
- Gramercy Funds Management in connection with its various investments in Banro Corporation, and the restructuring of Banro pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Altus Group Limited in each of its offerings and over 30 acquisitions since its IPO in 2005
- clients with investments in mining projects in Canada, United States, Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil and many North African countries.
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Recognized, Mining (International & Cross-Border) 2024
Chambers Canada Recognized, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining 2024
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Corporate and M&A 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Securities Law 2024
Chambers Global Recognized, Mining (International & Cross-Border) 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining Recognized, Canada's Leading Mining Lawyers 2023
- University of Windsor, University of Detroit Mercy, LL.B., 1997
- Queen's University, B.Comm., 1994
Call to Bar
Capital MarketsThe Fighting Against Forced Labour and Child Labour in Supply Chains Act (the “Act”) came into force on January 1, 2024, implementing enhanced reporting requirements for certain companies and…
Mergers and AcquisitionsOntario’s Bill 213 – the Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2020 (the “Act”) – recently received Royal Assent, and its provisions, as they pertain to Ontario’s Business Corporations Act (the…
Removal of Director Residency Requirements Among Proposed Legislative Amendments Designed to Give Ontario Businesses More FlexibilityThis week, the Government of Ontario introduced the Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2020, which contains proposed legislative amendments to the Business Corporations Act (OBCA) and the…
Government Grants Ontario Corporations Additional Flexibility For Corporate Meetings During COVID-19 State of EmergencyOn March 30, 2020, the Government of Ontario issued an order (the “Emergency Order”) that will (i) allow all Ontario corporations to hold meetings of directors, shareholders, and members virtually…
Court of Appeal Clarifies Scope of Vesting Orders to Extinguish Interests Against Land; Royalty Interests may be ProtectedThe Ontario Court of Appeal (the “ONCA”) recently released its second and final decision in Third Eye Capital Corporation v. Ressources Dianor Inc./Dianor Resources Inc., providing increased clarity…
Capital MarketsEffective immediately, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) announced through OSC Staff Notice 43-706 – Pre-Filing Review of Mining Technical Disclosure that reporting issuers in the mining…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
MiningWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Mining has recognized 8 Goodmans lawyers among Canada's top-ranked experts in the mining industry.The Goodmans lawyers named in…