Ken Herlin is a partner in the Real Estate Group at Goodmans. His practice is transaction based with a particular emphasis on commercial real estate purchases and sales, financing and leasing.
He has an active commercial leasing practice, which includes representing landlords, tenants and lenders in respect of ground leases.
Ken has worked on the real estate, financing and leasing aspects of numerous insolvencies and restructurings in the laboratory, movie theatre, grocery and retail industries. He has significant REIT experience having been involved in the establishment, financing and disposition of REITs and income funds.
Ken is recognized as a leading lawyer in publications including Best Lawyers in Canada (real estate law), IFLR 1000 (real estate finance and real estate acquisitions) and The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (property leasing).
Acquisitions and Dispositions
Municipal and Land Development
REITS and Income Securities
Ken’s representative work includes:
- Cineplex Restructuring and IPO
- Sale of Eddie Bauer Canada Retail Division
- Alvarez & Marsal Canada, monitor of Target Canada in Target’s CCAA filing
- Golf Town in its CCAA filing and sale
- Toys “R” Us Canada in its CCAA filing and sale to Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited
- CAPREIT, RESREIT, Allied Properties REIT and Crombie REIT in their IPOs
- Crombie REIT- Independent Trustees-Purchase of Safeway Portfolio
- Greenrock Real Estate Advisors- Sale of leasehold and freehold interests in a residential apartment building portfolio to CAPREIT
Purchases and Sales
- CML HealthCare disposition of Medical Imaging Portfolio
- CNL Acquisition and Disposition of Ski Hill Assets
- Osmington sale of Torstar 1 Yonge Street Head Office
- Slate/Blackstone Sale of Ontario and Alberta Office Portfolio
- Slate/Incore Purchase of GE Ontario Office Portfolio
- Roots sale of North American retail chain
- Kilmer acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company
- 271 Front Street Telco Lease to Equinix
- Knightstone Student Residence Ground Leases in Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario
- RBC Dominion Securities- RESREIT (now CAPREIT) Residential Apartment Operating Leases
- Teachers’ Pension Plan Secured Financing of Parmalat Canada
- TD and BMO Financings of Q9 Networks Inc.
Awards & Recognition
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Property Leasing 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Real Estate Law 2023
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, Real Estate Acquisitions 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, Real Estate Finance 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Commercial Leasing Law 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Real Estate Law 2022
Ken has co-authored a chapter in Tenant's Rights and Remedies in a Commercial Lease and contributed to The Commercial Lease – A Practical Guide (both published by Canada Law Book Inc.).
- University of Toronto, J.D., 1988
- McGill University, B.Comm., 1985
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
News & Events
Banking and Financial Services
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023 Continues to Recognize GoodmansWe are proud to announce we have once again been recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023.85 Goodmans lawyers have been recognized as top-tier in their fields and leaders across…
Banking and Financial Services
IFLR1000 2022 Recognizes Goodmans Lawyers and PracticesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…
Private Equity and Venture Capital
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2023 EditionGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…