Mario Di Fiore is a partner in a business law group and Co-Chair of the Hospitality Group at Goodmans. Mario’s practice focuses on the hotel and leisure industry and on the negotiation and implementation of acquisition, related structuring, financing and management, franchise and operational agreements, in which he has extensive experience.
He has represented a number of hotel owners and operators in their arrangements involving the development, acquisition, financing, operation and management of hotels, resorts and mixed-use projects in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Caribbean.
Since 2018, Mario has been the only lawyer ranked Band 1 (the highest ranking) for hospitality by Chambers Canada. Chambers comments that he is “highly esteemed as a leader in the hospitality sector, with his very strong practice receiving widespread recognition”. Clients highlight his “very good grasp of hotel businesses and co-operative approach”. Mario is also recognized by IFLR1000 as a Notable Practitioner in M&A and real estate acquisitions, and Best Lawyers in Canada in corporate law.
Mario’s representative work includes acting for:
- Auberge Resorts Collection in transactions relating to the following properties: Bishop’s Lodge, The Lodge at Blue Sky, Mauna Lani, Vanderbilt, White Barn Inn, Mayflower, The Hearst (San Francisco), Primland, Stanly Ranch, Etereo (Riviera Maya), Susurros del Corazon (Punta de Mita), Altagracia (Costa Rica) and Florence
- Auberge in connection with its strategic partnership with the Libra Group and the related expansion of the Auberge Resorts Collection portfolio
- InnVest Hotels LP in connection with the negotiation of management and operational agreements for the Marriott Ottawa Hotel
- Holloway Lodging Corporation in connection with the expansion of its management platform for third party-owned hotels
- Leadon Investment in connection with the acquisition of the SilverBirch Hotel Portfolio from a Canadian pension fund manager for $1 billion
- Thayer Lodging (Brookfield Hotel Properties) in connection with its purchase of the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel from Marriott International
- Bvlgari S.p.A. in the formation of a $1 billion joint venture with Marriott International to form Bvlgari Hotels and Resorts
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts in connection with its managed properties in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Bogota, Colombia, Hvar, Croatia, Paris, France, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Tianjin, China
Mario has also been involved in transactions relating to The Ritz-Carlton Toronto, Le Germain at Maple Leaf Square, Toronto, Le Germain Hotel Calgary and Thompson Hotel, Toronto.
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Band 1, Hospitality 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, M&A, Real Estate Acquisitions 2023
Chambers Canada Band 1, Hospitality 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law 2023
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, M&A, Real Estate Acquisitions 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1990
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
HospitalityThe hospitality industry has witnessed a growing trend in the number of “marquee” or “destination” restaurant brands opening in luxury hotel properties around the world. In this context, it is…
Ongoing Issues in Negotiating Subordination and Non-Disturbance Agreements in the Hotel Industry - Part IINegotiating hotel management agreements on behalf of Hotel Owners and Hotel Operators has become increasingly complex. As we discussed in Part I of this Hospitality Law Update, one of several…
HospitalityNegotiating hotel management agreements on behalf of Hotel Owners and Hotel Operators has become increasingly complex. One of several key issues that arises is the Hotel Owner’s ability to…
News & Events
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
RestructuringWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…