Mark Spiro is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans.
His practice is transaction based, involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Mark also represents issuers and agents in connection with private placements for real estate entities and related joint venture transactions.
Mark has been involved in a number of contested shareholder matters, including proxy contests representing both dissident shareholders and boards of directors.
Mark’s representative work includes acting for:
Public and Private M&A
- Invesque Inc. in connection with its reverse takeover of Kingsway Arms Retirement Residences Inc.
- Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. in connection with their acquisition of Regal Lifestyle Communities Inc. by way of a plan of arrangement
- Invesque Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Mohawk Medical Properties, a private real estate investment trust
- HealthLease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with its going private transaction
- TOTAL SA in its initially unsolicited takeover bid and subsequently board approved acquisition of UTS Energy
- Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in connection with the sale of its media monitoring division to Meltwater News Canada Inc.
- the special committee of Brookfield Office Properties in connection with its going private transaction
- the issuer in numerous initial public offerings, follow-on public offerings and rights offerings, including Invesque Inc., Inovalis Real Estate Investment Trust, Postmedia Network Canada Corp., HealthLease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, Franco-Nevada Corporation, Student Transportation Inc. and Cott Corporation
Private Real Estate Funds
- the issuer and the agent in connection with the structuring, formation of, and private placements by, various private real estate investment trusts and limited partnerships, including numerous offerings involving Plazacorp, Plaza Partners, Central Condominium Real Estate Investment Trust, Podium Developments and Block Developments
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Mergers and Acquisitions Law 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mergers and Acquisitions 2022
Mark has co-authored a number of articles in the area of corporate governance and is a former member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Ontario Bar Association Business Law Section.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, MBA/LLB, 1999
- Schulich School of Business, MBA/LLB, 1999
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
Amendments Proposed to Significantly Change Take-Over Bid RulesThe Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) yesterday published for comment proposed amendments to the Canadian take-over bid regime that, if implemented, would significantly change the dynamics…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture Capital
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2023 EditionGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2022 EditionWe are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…