Neill May is a partner, a member of the Executive Committee and a former Co-Chair of the Corporate Securities Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on all aspects of securities law, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Neill has developed a reputation for expertise in securities law and for his ability to negotiate and complete complex and innovative transactions.
Neill has counselled participants in numerous public and private M&A transactions and has represented clients on both sides of friendly and hostile takeover bids. He has also structured and implemented a vast range of corporate reorganizations and financing transactions, including domestic and cross-border public offerings, and private strategic and venture capital financings.
Neill is recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as most frequently recommended in corporate finance & securities, M&A, corporate commercial, and corporate mid-market, consistently recommended for private equity, and repeatedly recommended for mining law. He has also been recommended by The Lexpert/ALM Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (M&A, private equity, corporate finance, corporate commercial and corporate mid-market), Chambers Global (corporate/M&A and private equity: buyouts), Chambers Canada (corporate/commercial and private equity: buyouts), Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading M&A Lawyers, IFLR1000 (M&A), Who's Who Legal (capital markets & thought leader in M&A), The Legal 500 Canada (M&A), The Best Lawyers in Canada (corporate, leveraged buyouts & private equity, M&A, mining, natural resources, private funds and securities), and as a leading practitioner in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A, and Lexpert Special Edition: Mining.
Neill’s recent representative work includes acting for:
- A consortium led by Northern Private Capital, an investment firm led by John Risley and Andrew Lapham, in its $1 billion acquisition of MDA, Canada’s leading space company, from Maxar Technologies, and the subsequent IPO of MDA
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., its Nevada and Galore Creek joint ventures, and in various investments and divestments including Continental Gold Inc., Evrim Resources Corp., Irving Resources Inc., Maverix Metals Inc., Orosur Mining Inc., TMAC Resources Inc. and Red Lake Mines
- Clairvest Group Inc. and its managed funds in their investments through NovaSource Power Services in the solar O&M businesses of Sunpower Corporation and First Solar, Inc., their investments in SST Solar Holdings, Inc., Power Overhaul LLC and Digital Media Solutions, LLC, their divestment of Lyophilization Services of New England, Inc., their investment in and divestment of Cieslok Media Ltd. and Also Energy Inc., and the sale by their subsidiary Discovery Air Inc. of its fire services division
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in connection with its investments in Superior Plus Corp. and Chorus Aviation Inc.
- Power Corporation of Canada in connection with the proposed reorganization pursuant to which it would acquire 100% common share ownership of Power Financial Corporation
- Evergreen Coast Capital in its investments in Coveo Solutions, Inc.
- Abrams Capital Management and its affiliates in connection with its role as part of the shareholder group proposing to privatize Hudson’s Bay Company.
- Anchorage Capital Group, L.L.C. and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in their financing of Resolve-Class Naval Support Ship, m/v Asterix
- Cinram International Inc. in its sale to Najafi Companies
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc. in its sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Co., Ltd.
- CML HealthCare Inc. in its sale by way of plan of arrangement to LifeLabs Ontario Inc.
- L’Oréal USA and its affiliates in their acquisitions of three consumer brands from Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. (now Bausch Health Companies Inc.) and in their investment in Functionalab Group
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Band 3, Private Equity: Buyouts 2024
Chambers Global Band 1, Corporate and M&A 2024
Chambers Canada Band 3, Private Equity: Buyouts 2024
Chambers Canada Band 1, Corporate/Commercial Ontario 2024
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Corporate and M&A 2024
Lexpert/American Lawyer Media Guide Most Frequently Recommended, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers & Acquisitions 2024
- University of Toronto, LL.B., 1990
- Law Society of Ontario
Call to Bar
Capital MarketsNeill May is a contributor to Canadian Lawyer magazine. This article first appeared in the October 2023 issue.Excerpt from "The never-ending debate about material changes in securities law":Even the…
Mergers and AcquisitionsHow much time can a board take to convene a requisitioned meeting of securityholders? The recent decision of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Sandpiper Real Estate Fund 4 Limited Partnership v…
Mergers and Acquisitions
A Deep Dive Into the Threatened Litigation Between Twitter and Elon Musk and its Relevance to M&A, Canadian LawyerWhile it may be moot, the case highlighted fundamental issues for mergers and acquisitions…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWhen we learned about insider trading in law school, the threshold question – unsurprising, given the Socratic environment – was whether insider trading should be regulated at all…
Mergers and Acquisitions
Sandbagging: When parties to M&A deals press their advantage by exaggerating their weaknesses, Canadian LawyerIn M&A negotiations the concept of “sandbagging” arises so frequently that one wishes that the term had a more exotic or entertaining origin…
MiningThe 2022 federal budget (the “Budget”) commits significant funding and proposes far-reaching measures to boost the development of Canada’s mining industry for critical minerals that are essential to…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
We are delighted to announce that The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada once again features Goodmans in their 2024 Guide.The Lexpert/ALM 500, produced in collaboration…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across Who's Who Legal's National Guide: Canada 2023. WWL National Guides identify national or regional leaders in a sector, industry…