Victor Liu is a partner in a business law group and leads the Cannabis Group at Goodmans.
Victor’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions as well as corporate finance. Victor also counsels early-stage enterprises in diverse industries on their growth financings, governance and strategic initiatives, ranging from fintech, crypto, mobile gaming and interactive media to pharmaceutical, renewable energy and healthcare.
As a part of the firm’s emerging business initiative, Victor volunteers as a “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Ryerson University, a world-leading incubator for tech startups, providing legal advice and mentorship to some of Canada’s most promising startups.
True to Goodmans entrepreneurial focus, Victor has been providing expert legal advice to pioneers in the cannabis industry since 2013, bringing clarity to the rapidly evolving legal and regulatory landscape and providing strategic guidance for their growth and success.
Victor is recognized as a leading lawyer by The Legal 500 Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Victor's representative work includes acting for:
- Coinbase, a leading provider of end-to-end financial infrastructure and technology for the cryptoeconomy and the operator of the largest cryptocurrency exchange, with its Canadian regulatory and operational matters
- PopReach Corporation, a free-to-play game publisher of mobile games, from its early stage financings, through its 2020 RTO and public listing on the TSX Venture Exchange and subsequent equity financings, as well as its M&A activities
- Capital market transactions, including IPO, RTO, Qualifying transactions as well as equity, convertible debentures, subscription receipt and ATM financings for cannabis industry participants, including Fire & Flower, a leading purpose-built, independent adult-use cannabis retailer, as well as multiple Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations (SPAC)
- Delivra, a specialty biotechnology company with a proprietary transdermal delivery system platform and the manufacturer of the LivReliefTM line of products, in connection with its acquistion by Harvest One, a global cannabis company.
- Cura Partners, one of the world’s largest cannabis companies, in connection with its $75 million convertible debenture financing, the $1 billion sale to Curaleaf
- Mettrum Health, one of the earliest, largest and most successful licensed producers of medical cannabis in Canada, from its formation in 2013 and culminating in its sale in early 2017 for over $430 million to Canopy Growth
- Ad hoc committee of lenders in its successful $1.2 billion credit bid acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a coordinated CCAA and U.S. Chapter proceedings
- CSL Capital Management, a private equity firm, in the establishment of a pure-play North American land pressure pumping joint venture with Baker Hughes and Goldman Sachs’ merchant banking division
- Birch Communications, a leading U.S. provider of communications, network and cloud services, in its first international expansion through the acquisition of select assets and customers of Primus Telecommunications
- Golf Town Canada in its sale to Fairfax Financial Holdings and funds managed by CI Investments
- Co-op Atlantic in the sale of its (a) corporate food and gas retail stores and wholesale assets to Sobeys, (b) bulk fuel and wholesale business to CST Canada and (c) agricultural business assets to La Coop Fédérée
- CML HealthCare in its $1.22 billion acquisition by LifeLabs and the concurrent multi-pronged divestiture of its diagnostic imaging business
- SkyPower in connection with its sale of 16 solar power projects to Canadian Solar and the ongoing development by SkyPower of international solar power projects
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Cannabis Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Cannabis Law 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Cannabis 2021
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2021
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2020
In 1999, Victor worked for eight months in the firm’s Hong Kong office. Upon his return to Toronto, Victor has remained active in Toronto’s Canada-China business community.
Victor is a frequent participant at Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers events, including as a mentor at its annual speed mentoring event.
Victor is also a volunteer with Goodmans LABB, providing free legal services to Black-owned businesses, and with Pro Bono Ontario through their Free Legal Advice Hotline.
- University of Toronto, J.D., 1998
- Queen's University, B.A., 1995
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Hong Kong Canada Business Association (Toronto)
- Chinese Canadian Association (Hong Kong)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Call to Bar
- 2001 Ontario
Quick Guide to the New Capital Pool Company Program: An Efficient Go-To-Market Strategy Complementing G-Corps and SPACsThe TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV) announced a major update to its Capital Pool Company (CPC) program that took effect on January 1, 2021 (the “New CPC Policy”). The New CPC Policy is aimed at making the…
CannabisVictor Liu, Neil Sheehy and Danielle Levesque are contributors to the Canada section of the World Law Group 2020 Cannabis Guide. The Guide covers legislation, governing bodies, import and export…
CannabisOn November 12, 2019, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 51-359 (the “Staff Notice”), highlighting inadequacies in disclosure of financial interests in M&A…
TechnologyIn 2017, the Government of Canada launched a multi-year Innovation and Skills Plan aimed at substantially redesigning the innovation policy landscape in Canada. The Plan features an updated…
CannabisOn April 13, 2017, the Government of Canada introduced Bill C-45, the Cannabis Act, in the House of Commons. Based on the input of public health, law enforcement and justice experts, the Cannabis Act…
CannabisOn December 13, the Ontario government announced significant changes to the province’s planned rollout of its retail cannabis regime. Ontario made regulation 497/18 (the “Amending Regulation”) under…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
We are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…
Capital MarketsVictor Lui will be a speaker in the session "Finding the Right Partnership to Fit the Deal: General Partnerships, LLPs, and Limited Partnerships" at the Law Society of Ontario's Choosing the…