Bill has extensive experience in all aspects of the Canadian capital markets and has played a leading role in many of Canada’s most innovative capital markets transactions.
Over his career, Bill has led or played a significant role on over 30 domestic and cross-border IPOs and going-public transactions. He regularly represents issuers and underwriters on follow-on offerings of equity (common and preferred) and debt (investment grade and convertible) and other public markets transactions including mergers and acquisitions, rights offerings, ATM programs and issuer bids. Bill has been extensively involved in the development of the Canadian REIT and SPAC sectors and regularly advises boards of directors and special committees on governance and compliance matters.
Early in his career, Bill worked as legal counsel in the Corporate Finance Brand of the Ontario Securities Commission where he gained valuable insight into Canada’s securities regulatory system. Since joining Goodmans, Bill has continued to serve on a number of committees at the OSC including its Continuous Disclosure Advisory Committee.
Bill is recognized as a leading lawyer in numerous publications including Chambers Global (capital markets: debt & equity – Canada) and Chambers Canada (capital markets: debt & equity – nationwide), Best Lawyers in Canada (corporate, M&A, securities), IFLR1000 (capital markets: debt and equity, M&A), The Legal 500 Canada (capital markets), The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (corporate finance & securities and M&A), The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (corporate finance & securities), the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2023 and the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers.
Bill’s representative work includes acting for:
- Onex Corporation in its US$150 million sale of subordinate voting shares of Celestica Inc.
- The underwriting syndicates on offerings by Brookfield Corporation (U.S.$550 million of senior notes) and Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P. (U.S.$650 million of limited partnership units and exchangeable shares)
- The underwriting syndicates for the $144 million IPO of VerticalScope Inc. and the $200 million IPO of Anaergia Inc.
- MCAN Mortgage Corporation in its $20 million rights offering.
- Atlantic Power Corporation and its special committee in its agreement to be acquired by I Squared Capital for US$961 million.
- Canaccord Genuity Growth II Corp. in connection with its $537 million qualifying transaction with Taiga Motors Inc.
- Dye & Durham Limited in its initial public offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Mercer Park Brand Acquisition Corp. and Canaccord Genuity Growth II Corp. in their initial public offerings and listings on the NEO Exchange
- Canaccord Genuity Acquisition Corp. in its $30,000,000 initial public offering and subsequent merger with Spark Power Group Inc. as its qualifying acquisition
- Paulson & Co. Inc. in connection with numerous private placement investments in Canada and its proxy solicitation to replace the board of Detour Gold Corporation
- NexPoint Hospitality Trust in its cross-border initial public offering and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange
- Plaza Retail REIT in connection with its conversion to a REIT structure and numerous debt and equity offerings
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in connection with its initial public offering and numerous acquisitions, debt and equity financings
- the underwriters for numerous debt, equity and preferred share offerings of Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P., Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P., Brookfield Property Partners L.P. and Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
- the special committee of trustees of Crombie Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with its acquisition of a portfolio of properties from Empire Company Ltd.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities Law 2024
Chambers Global Band 3, Capital Markets: Debt and Equity 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy Recognized, Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2023
IFLR1000 Canada Highly Regarded, Capital Markets: Debt, Capital Markets: Equity, M&A 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Most Frequently Recommended, Corporate Finance & Securities 2023
Bill is the editor and a significant contributor to the Canadian REIT Handbook published by the Real Property Association of Canada.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1996
- University of Alberta, B.Comm., 1992
- Law Society of Ontario
Call to Bar
REITS and Income SecuritiesStephen Pincus, Brenda Gosselin, and Bill Gorman have co-authored The Benefits of Canada - Cross Border and Foreign REITs in the first edition of The Legal Reviews Canada.See below to read…
Capital MarketsOverviewThe Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) has adopted a new prospectus exemption (the “Self-Certified Investor Prospectus Exemption”) applicable to prospective investors that meet certain…
Capital MarketsOn April 14, 2022, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published amendments to the Companion Policy to National Instrument 41-101 General Prospectus Requirements that harmonize the…
Capital MarketsCNSX Markets Inc. (CSE) published amendments to its policies to create a new tier of non-venture issuers with listing requirements similar to those of the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and NEO Exchange…
Capital MarketsOn April 7, 2022, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published proposed amendments to securities legislation to implement an “access equals delivery” (“AED”) model for certain public company…
Capital MarketsThe Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) announced changes to allow large, well-known Canadian reporting issuers, referred to as well-known seasoned issuers (WKSIs), to file a base shelf…
News & Events
EnergyWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy has recognized 6 Goodmans lawyers among Canada's top-ranked experts in the energy industry.The Goodmans lawyers named in…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
RestructuringWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…