Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Suzy is a partner in the Litigation Group and a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. Suzy is an experienced commercial litigator, with particular expertise in litigating disputes involving commercial contracts, employee and fiduciary obligations, contested estate matters, directors and officers liability claims, civil fraud and entertainment disputes. Suzy also frequently represents defendants in class actions, and represents her clients’ interests in jurisdictions across Canada. She has also acted as lead counsel on numerous high-stakes estate litigation matters and cases involving allegations of loss of corporate opportunity.
Suzy has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada and before all levels of civil courts in Ontario, including the Commercial Court, Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal, and has both trial and appellate experience. She has also been involved in proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission and in judicial review applications of administration tribunals.
Suzy is ranked by Benchmark Canada as a “Litigation Star” nationally for class actions and in Ontario for class actions, commercial litigation, insolvency, labour and employment and professional liability. Suzy is also recognized as a litigator who is “repeatedly recommended” in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation.
Suzy teaches litigation skills based workshops at the Advocates Society and has run the continuing legal education program for the associates in the litigation department. She is involved in the student program at the firm, acting as a mentor to summer and articling students.
Some of Suzy’s notable recent litigation mandates include representation of:
- Chevron Canada Limited, challenging the jurisdiction of the Ontario Courts and ultimately the enforceability of a US$18.3 billion judgment (subsequently reduced to $9.51 billion), obtained in Ecuador against Chevron Corporation.
- Simon & Schuster Canada in the defence of a proposed class action lawsuit in Ontario in connection with e-books pricing in Canada.
- IPEX Inc. in product liability claims in Canada (co-ordinating the defence with parallel claims in the U.S.), successfully negotiating a cross-border settlement of class action claims in Canada and the U.S. and prosecuting several product suppliers in connection with the alleged liability.
- American and Japanese auto parts manufacturers in proposed class actions commenced in various jurisdictions alleging price fixing related to the manufacture and sale of various auto parts (coordinating Canadian counsel for the proposed class actions in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia and working with U.S. and Japanese counsel)
- A prominent Canadian company defending claims of loss of corporate opportunity that involved numerous injunctive proceedings.
- High net worth individuals involving multi-million dollar estate and family high stakes litigation.
Prior to joining Goodmans, Suzy was a figure skater and competed nationally and internationally.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B. (Dean's Honour List, Carey S. Stern Prize in Civil Procedure), 1997)
McGill University (B.A. (Political Science - Great Distinction), 1994)