Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Brenda Gosselin is a partner in a business law group, and a member of the Professional Standards and Conflicts Review Committee at Goodmans.
Her practice is transaction based, involving all areas of corporate and securities laws, with particular emphasis on corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, shareholder rights and activism and corporate recapitalizations and restructurings. Brenda is recognized for bringing a holistic approach to her practice and her ability to negotiate and close complex and innovative transactions.
Brenda regularly represents market participants, issuers and investors in public financings and private investments of debt and equity, including with respect to initial public offerings and follow-on financings, and on behalf of U.S. and offshore funds and institutional investors in Canadian transactions, together with buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions and dissident shareholders and boards of directors.
Brenda’s representative work includes acting for:
- the issuer in numerous initial public offerings including those by Minto Apartment REIT, Milestone Apartments REIT and NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT
- the issuer in numerous follow on public offerings, including those by RioCan REIT, Minto Apartment REIT, Morneau Shepell Inc. and The Keg Royalties Income Fund
- investors and/or backstop providers in numerous private placements including those made by Matrix Capital Management, Gramercy Funds Management LLC, Oasis Investments II Master Fund Ltd and Castle Hook Partners
M&A and Private Equity
- Relo Group Inc. in its acquisition of BGRS Limited
- Iconiq Capital in its acquisition of Truckstop.com
- CPPIB in its investments in venture capital funds including Northleaf Catalyst Venture Fund II and HarbourVest Canada Growth Fund
- Revera Inc. in its acquisition of a majority stake in Sunrise Senior Living management company, and its acquisition of Comcare Health Services
Brenda is repeatedly recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” in IFLR 1000 in the areas of Capital Markets: Debt and Equity and Corporate/M&A. She was also ranked as Repeatedly Recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities in The 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and was recognized as a Capital Markets expert in Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, 2020. In 2017, Brenda was recognized as a “Leading Lawyer to Watch” for M&A in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and, in 2016, was recognized by Lexpert as one of Canada’s “Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40”.
Brenda is a member of the REITs and Income Securities group as well as the Shareholder Rights and Activism Groups at Goodmans. She is a member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, a group which comments on proposed changes to securities legislation on behalf of the Ontario Securities Bar and coordinates continuing legal education programs on behalf of the Ontario Bar Association in the area of securities law.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (LL.B., 2002)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., Administrative and Commercial Studies - Financial and Economic, 1999)
Ontario Bar Association
|Year of Call||