Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Glenn Ernst is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. Glenn’s practice focuses primarily on tax dispute resolution, including income tax, commodity tax, excise tax and land transfer tax disputes.
Glenn has extensive experience in income tax dispute resolution and has represented clients in respect of proposed assessments, assessments and reassessments made by provincial and federal authorities, such as the Canada Revenue Agency and the Minister of Finance (Ontario). He has represented clients at the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Tax Court of Canada and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Glenn also has extensive experience in tax compliance and tax administration issues and commodity tax and income tax planning.
Glenn’s representative work includes:
- Craig v The Queen, in the Supreme Court of Canada, successfully overturned a longstanding precedent of that court
- Amdocs v MNR, successfully challenged the CRA’s audit powers
- Daniels v The Queen, appeal overturned the disallowance of business investment loss
- Van Heerden v The Queen, successful appeal of a real estate investment loss
- Leadon Investments Inc.’s acquisition of a Canadian hotel portfolio from Silver Birch Hotels & Resorts for $1.1 billion
- Onex Corporation in its agreement to acquire WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Minto Apartment REIT in its $230 million initial public offering
- Pan-Canadian Investors Committee’s restructuring of the $32 billion Canadian asset-backed commercial paper market
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s modernization of gaming in Ontario
- Creation and subsequent sale of Highway 407 involving unique income tax, GST and land transfer tax issues
- Structured non-standard dispositive reorganization of multi-family private real estate holdings
- Acting for purchasers of distressed business including Essar Algoma Steel, White Birch Paper and Hamilton Specialty Bar
Glenn is recognized as a leading tax lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1988)
Dalhousie University (B.Comm., 1985)
Law Society of Ontario