Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Karen is a partner in the business law group at Goodmans.
Her practice focuses on corporate law and banking and finance law, including a range of domestic and cross-border financing and corporate transactions, acting for both creditors and debtors. Karen has significant experience with corporate and financing transactions involving health care assets and is a member of the firm’s Aging & Healthcare practice.
Karen’s representative work includes acting for:
- King Street Capital Management, as lead lender, in connection with the $US 750 million financing of Canopy Growth Corporation, one of Canada’s largest cannabis companies
- Ad hoc committee of lenders in connection with the finacing of its acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a credit bid under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act for $1.2 billion
- Berkshire Partners in connection with the financing of its investment in VetStrategy, Canada’s leading and largest operator of veterinary clinics
- The Plan Sponsors (private equity firms as mezzanine lenders) of Stoneway Capital Corporation’s $1 billion restructuring pursuant to the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Onex Corporation in connection with the financing of its acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for CDN $5 billion
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture partnership with Axium Infrastructure to share ownership of 32 of Revera’s long term care homes in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its acquisition of retirement residences for $382 million
- Ad Hoc Committee of Noteholders of Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation in connection with the company’s restructuring under the CCAA and ancillary proceedings in Colombia and the United States
- Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. in their $374.4 million joint venture acquisition of Regal Lifestyle Communities Inc. and in connection with their US$2 billion joint venture resulting in shared ownership of 70+ Canadian retirement residences previously owned by Revera Inc.
- Gramercy Funds Management LLC in connection with $90 million gold forward sale transactions and gold streaming transaction with Banro Corporation
- Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. in connection with its formation of a joint venture with Toronto-based real estate company, Dream Unlimited Corp. to develop its portfolio of surplus real estate valued at $1 billion
- Atlantic Power Corporation in connection with the financing of Atlantic Power’s $1.1 billion acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.
Karen is a Co-chair of SenbridGe NEXT by SenbridGe, Goodmans platform for educational, networking and publication offerings related to the seniors living and healthcare industries.
Karen is recognized in the inaugural 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada. In 2021 and 2022, Karen was honoured at the IFLR Rising Stars Awards Americas for her banking and finance practice as well as the jurisdiction award for Canada.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall/Schulich School of Business (J.D./MBA, 2011)
McGill University (B.A., 2007)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||