Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Partridge is a partner at Goodmans.
His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions and securities law. He also regularly advises boards of directors and activist shareholders on corporate governance matters and proxy contests. Michael practiced for two years at a leading Silicon Valley based law firm, where he focused on representing emerging growth companies and venture capital funds in a variety of transactions.
Michael’s experience includes representing:
- Algoma Steel Inc. in connection with its combination with Legato Merger Corp., a Nasdaq listed special purpose acquisition company
- OverActive Media Corp. in connection with its listing on the TSXV by way of a ‘qualifying transaction’ and a concurrent equity financing for gross proceeds of approximately $40 million
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with a $86 million bought deal equity offering and a $325 million offering of senior unsecured notes
- Newmont Corporation in connection with its $393 miillion acquisition of GT Gold Corp.
- Dragnoneer Investment Group in connection with its investments in Wealthsimple Technologies and PointClickCare
- GTCR in connection with various acquisitions of, and investments in, Canadian based busineses
- Amp Solar Group in connection with the US$374 strategic growth investment commitment from The Carlyle Group
- StarBlue Inc. in connection with its US$437 million acquisition by Sangoma Technologies Corproation
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with a proxy contest launched by Waterton Global Resources, Inc.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in the US$4.4 billion sale of Hub International by Apax Partners to Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Kilmer Sports Inc. and Lawrence M. Tanenbaum in connection with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan's agreement to sell its ownership interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. to BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. for $1.32 billion and the associated increase of KSI's ownership interest to 25%
- Western Coal Corp. in connection with its $3.3 billion merger with Walter Energy, Inc.
Michael is recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities, private equity and mining by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, for corporate governance, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, mining, natural resources and securities law by Best Lawyers in Canada, for mining by The Legal 500 Canada and is featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2022 and the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences 2022.
Michael has authored numerous papers and articles in the areas of securities law, mergers and acquisitions and shareholder activism and has presented on these topics as a speaker at various conferences and industry events.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. , 1996)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., 1993)
Law Society of Ontario