Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michelle Vigod is a partner at Goodmans. She has a broad transactional-based practice involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance. Michelle advises public and private companies on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, take-over bids, capital raising, corporate reorganizations and private equity transactions.
Michelle’s recent transactional experience includes representing:
- Voyant Beauty Holdings, LLC, in its acquisition of the personal care business of KIK Custom Products Inc., a leading North American manufacturer for prestige beauty, over-the-counter and household products
- Brookfield Infrastructure in the sale of its interest in a Chilean transmission business for US$1.3 billion
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of DH Corporation and combination of D+H with its portfolio company, Misys, for $4.8 billion
- Acasta Enterprises Inc. in connection with its qualifying acquisition of Apollo Health and Beauty Care Partnership, JemPak Corporation and Stellwagen Group with a total enterprise value of $1.1 billion
- Timbercreek Senior Mortgage Investment Corporation in connection with its merger with Timbercreek Mortgage Investment Corporation to form Timbercreek Financial Corp., a leading non-banking commercial real estate lender with a book value of approximately $650 million and a mortgage investment portfolio of approximately $1 billion
- Cott Corporation on various matters including acquisitions, public offerings, private placements and other general corporate and securities law matters
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. on various matters including the elimination of its dual class share structure, securities offerings and general corporate and securities law matters
- Tricon Capital Group Inc. on various matters including numerous bought deal offerings, joint venture transactions, strategic investments and general corporate matters
- Mandalay Resources Corporation in connection with its $35 million bought deal public offering of common shares
- Highbridge Principal Strategies LLC in connection with its acquisition of a non-controlling equity interest in GFL Environmental Inc. and the reorganization of share capital of GFL Environmental Inc.
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in connection with its going-private transaction by Brookfield Asset Management and other general corporate matters
- A syndicate of underwriters led by RBC Dominion Securities Inc., TD Securities Inc., HSBC Securities (Canada) Inc., Credit Suisse Securities (Canada) Inc. and Citigroup Global Markets Canada Inc. in connection with a US$340 bought deal public offering of common shares of Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Cinram International Income Fund in connection with its sale to Najafi Companies under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
In 2020, Michelle was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. She has also been recognized as a leading practitioner by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Mergers and Acquisitions, IFLR 1000 for Capital Markets: Debt and Equity, Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate/M&A, and by Best Lawyers in Canada for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law.
In addition to transactional work, Michelle also provides ongoing advice to clients on matters relating to continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance, legislative compliance and general corporate law. She is also a member of the firm's technology group and is the co-chair of the firm's Women's Success Committee.
Michelle is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law in the Global Professional Masters of Law Program where she teaches Business Organizations.
Michelle was called to the New York bar in 2009 and to the Ontario bar in 2012. Prior to joining Goodmans, Michelle was a corporate lawyer in the New York office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 2008)
McGill University (B.Comm., with great distinction, Finance and Strategy, 2003)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||
2009 New York