Corporate and Asset-Based Lending
The Banking and Finance Group has represented both lenders and borrowers in a number of complex corporate and commercial lending arrangements, including syndicated senior credit facilities, second lien or mezzanine financings, unitranche financings, cross-border loans, distressed financings and debt restructurings. We also have a sophisticated asset-based lending practice, regularly representing some of the most active players in the ABL market in Canada.
On the lending side, we regularly represent a number of financial institutions including The Toronto-Dominion Bank, Wells Fargo, PNC Bank, UBS, Fortress Investment Group and Manulife Capital. On the borrower side, we have represented some of the largest and most noteworthy companies in Canada, including Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, Cineplex Inc., CML Healthcare Inc., The Brick Group Income Fund, Postmedia Network Inc. and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.
Recent representations include:
- Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts in its $750 million refinancing provided by a syndicate of lenders led by Citibank, N.A. (2012)
- A syndicate of lenders comprising banks and certain foreign banks in connection with the $900 million refinancing of Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners (2012)
- CML HealthCare Inc. in its $400 million revolving credit facility provided by a syndicate of lenders led by The Toronto-Dominion Bank (2012)
- Clearwater Seafoods Limited Partnership in its $199 million senior term credit facility and its $65 million senior revolving facility refinancing, each provided by a syndicate of lenders led by GE Canada Finance Holding Company (2012)
- Golf Town Canada Inc. and Golfsmith International Holdings, Inc. in their $135 senior revolving credit facility provided by a syndicate of lenders led by General Electric Capital Corporation (2012)
- Cineplex Inc. in its $350 million refinancing provided by a syndicate of lenders led by The Bank of Nova Scotia (2011)
- Cinram International Income Fund in its US$337 million refinancing and recapitalization (2011)
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as agent, in connection with $182,500,000 term and revolving credit facilities provided to Capstone Power Corp. and Cardinal Power of Canada, L.P. (2011)
- Wells Fargo in connection with an $800 million asset-based lending facility provided to Sears Canada Inc. (2010)