Alan Bowman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. Alan's practice focuses on all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions with a particular focus on the mining industry. He advises public and private clients on M&A, debt and equity financing, corporate reorganizations, debt restructurings and international tax planning.
Alan is recognized by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada for tax. He is also featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A.
Alan has provided tax advice in the following transactions:
- Hudbay on its acquisition of Copper Mountain
- Hanna Paper on its sale to Sustana
- Berkshire capital on the merger of VetStrategy with IPC Evidensia
- Falfurrias Capital Partners in its acquisition of Executive Platforms
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its $10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc.
- Altria Group, Inc. in its $2.4 billion strategic investment in cannabis producer, Cronos Group
- a joint venture between prominent businessman and philanthropist, Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former NBA player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in the joint venture’s acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- Berkshire Partners LLC in its $1 billion acquisition of VetStrategy
- MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates (MDA) in its sale from Maxar Technologies Inc. to a consortium led by Northern Private Capital for $1 billion
- MDA in its initial public offering of its common shares
- Thomas H Lee Partners in the sale of Give & Go to Mondelez
- Miller McAshphalt in its $931 million acquisition by Colas Canada
- Cott Corporation in its US$1.25 billion sale of its traditional beverage manufacturing business to Refresco
- Coeur Mining in its US$250 million acquisition of Denham Capital’s JDS Silver and B.C. Silvertip Mine
He has also advised on numerous acquisitions and dispositions by private equity funds and other public/private transactions.
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Band 3, Tax 2024
Chambers Canada Band 3, Tax 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2024
Chambers Global Band 3, Tax 2023
Who's Who Legal Recognized National Leader, Corporate Tax 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
Alan has authored numerous papers and speaks frequently on commercial income tax matters.
Alan is the former board chair at Kingsway College School, an independent school located in Etobicoke, Ontario. Formerly, Alan chaired the Audit Committee of Youth Without Shelter, a shelter for homeless youth in Toronto, and he was an adjunct professor at Western University Faculty of Law.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B., 1995
- Western University, B.A., 1992
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 1997 Ontario
TaxDistressed corporations often resort to restructuring their debts into shares of the corporation. However, in situations where those shares constitute taxable Canadian property, these debt exchanges…
Capital MarketsThe 2012 federal budget (the “Budget”), released last Thursday, promises legislative changes to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (the “CEAA”) that will streamline the federal environmental…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across Who's Who Legal's National Guide: Canada 2023. WWL National Guides identify national or regional leaders in a sector, industry…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…