Amalia Berg is a partner and heads the Intellectual Property Group at Goodmans. She is also a registered trademark agent. Amalia practises exclusively in the areas of intellectual property and technology law with an emphasis on trademarks, copyright and confidential information.
Amalia represents public companies and investors as well as smaller clients and start ups. She is regularly involved in transactional work involving intellectual property and her practice encompasses all aspects of client counselling and portfolio management, including trademark clearance and prosecution, both domestic and abroad, opinion work, opposition and cancellation proceedings, enforcement, licensing, and domain name and e-commerce issues. Having a passion for the arts, she also advises on art-related legal matters.
Amalia is recognized as a leading intellectual property lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, IP Stars, Chambers Global and Chambers Canada, and in trademarks by Who’s Who Legal Canada, Euromoney’s Guides to the World’s Leading Trademark Lawyers and the World’s Leading Women in Business Law. In 2022, she was recognized as one of the world’s Top 250 Women in IP by IP Stars.
Amalia recently worked on the following commercial transactions, providing strategic advice relating to intellectual property portfolios, and participating in legal review and document preparation:
- Vivid Seats, the leading independent ticket marketplace in North America, in connection with its up to US$60 million acquisition of Fanxchange, a Toronto-based ticket company focused on B2B, enterprise and distribution
- Onex Corporation in connection with its proposed $5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited, a joint venture established between prominent businessman and philanthropist, Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former NBA player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in its acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from Coca-Cola Refreshments USA, Inc., a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- LifeWorks Corporation Ltd. in Canada in connection with Morneau Shepell Inc.'s acquisition of all of the outstanding shares of LifeWorks for a total purchase price of approximately $426 million
- AlsoEnergy, Inc., a portfolio company of Clairvest Group Inc., in its acquisition of Locus Energy, Inc.
- Vista Equity Partners in its $4.8 billion acquisition of DH Corporation and its combination of D+H with its portfolio company Misys, creating “Finastra”, a new global fintech leader
- Canadian counsel to L'Oréal USA Inc. in its acquisition of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.'s skincare brands CeraVe, AcneFree and Ambi for US$1.3 billion
- Acasta Enterprises Inc. in its $1.2 billion qualifying acquisition, the first Canadian special-purpose acquisition company to complete a qualifying acquisition.
- Apax Partners in its sale of portfolio company, TRADER Corporation, Canada's leading digital automotive marketplace and software solutions provider, to Thoma Bravo, LLC for $1.575 billion
- OMERS Private Equity, the private equity arm of OMERS, in the sale of its portfolio company, Give & Go Prepared Foods Corp. to an affiliate of US private equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P.
- Match.com Canada Ltd., a subsidiary of The Match Group, in its US$575 million cash acquisition of PlentyOfFish Media Inc., a Canadian internet dating service
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Band 2, Intellectual Property 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Intellectual Property 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Intellectual Property Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Intellectual Property 2022
Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law Recognized, Trademarks/Copyright 2022
Chambers Canada Ranked, Tier 2, Intellectual Property: Nationwide - Canada 2022
Amalia is an active member of numerous professional organizations and sits on committees of several organizations dealing with intellectual property law. Amalia is currently Subcommittee Chair of INTA’s Law Firm Committee's Programming Subcommittee, and a member of the Roundtables Project Team. She is also a former Chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s National Intellectual Property Section and former Chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s Information Technology/E-Commerce Section. She is a previous member-at-large of the Executive Committee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Canadian Corporate Counsel Association Toronto Chapter. From 1999 to 2008, Amalia was Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada’s Trademark Legislation Committee. Amalia is a regular speaker at Canadian and foreign conferences dealing with intellectual property issues.
Amalia is a member of the Board of Directors of Ve'ahavta, a humanitarian organization dedicated to promoting positive change in the lives of people who have been marginalized by poverty and hardship. In addition, she is a member of the Toronto Group of Weizmann Canada which promotes science for the benefit of humanity; raising awareness and generating support for the research being done at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
- University of Windsor, LL.B., 1988
- University of Windsor, B.A., 1986
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association – IPL Section
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers’ Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
Call to Bar
- 1990 Ontario
Intellectual PropertyThe Goodmans IP Team is proud to have been recognized in the 26th edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2022.As a group, the Goodmans IP Team was recognized as follows:Intellectual Property…
Intellectual PropertyThe Goodmans IP Team is proud to have been recognized in the 2022 edition of the World Trademark Review 1000 (WTR 1000) – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals.Goodmans is described as being…
Intellectual PropertyThe Goodmans IP Team is proud to have recently been recognized by both Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences 2022 and Chambers Global 2022.The following members of the Goodmans IP Team were recognized by…
Intellectual PropertyThe Goodmans IP Team is proud to have been recognized in "Intellectual Property" by Legal 500 Canada - 2022.A "deep bench of IP litigators distinguishes" the Goodmans IP Team "from its competition…
Intellectual PropertyAs of January 1, 2021, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (“CIPO”) will be raising the fees for some services, including trademark application and renewal fees, by 2%. This 2% increase is in…
Intellectual PropertyThe Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) announced extensions imposed by the Patent Act, Trademarks Act, and the Industrial Design Act…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
We are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across several Expert Guides 2022 editions. Recognition from Expert Guides is based on peer review, and demonstrates our lawyers…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…