Brenda Gosselin is a partner in a business law group, and a member of the Professional Standards and Conflicts Review Committee and the Directorships Committee at Goodmans.
Her practice is transaction based, involving all areas of corporate and securities laws, with particular emphasis on corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, shareholder rights and activism and corporate recapitalizations. Brenda is recognized for bringing a holistic approach to her practice and her ability to negotiate and close complex and innovative transactions.
Brenda regularly represents market participants, issuers and investors in public financings and private investments of debt and equity, including with respect to initial public offerings and follow-on financings, and on behalf of U.S. and offshore funds and institutional investors in Canadian capital markets transactions. She regularly advises boards of directors of public issuers on corporate governance matters, together with buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions. Brenda also routinely acts on private equity fund formation and investment activities.
Brenda is recognized as a leading lawyer in numerous publications including the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2023, Chambers Canada (REITs: Nationwide – Canada), Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law), The Legal 500 Canada (Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions), IFLR1000 (Capital Markets: Debt and Equity and Corporate/M&A) and The 2023 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Corporate Finance & Securities). She has been featured as a Capital Markets expert in Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, in 2021 and 2020. In 2016, Brenda was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Brenda’s representative work includes acting for:
- the issuer in numerous initial public offerings including those by Minto Apartment REIT, Milestone Apartments REIT and NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT and the underwriters in the initial public offering of BoatRocker Media Inc.
- the issuer in numerous follow on public offerings, including those by RioCan REIT, Minto Apartment REIT, and Morneau Shepell Inc.
- investors and/or backstop providers in numerous private placements including those made by Senvest Management LLC, Slate Path Capital, Matrix Capital Management, Gramercy Funds Management LLC, and Oasis Investments II Master Fund Ltd
M&A and Private Equity
- Rogers Communications Inc. in its announced arrangement agreement with Shaw Communications in a deal valued at over $20 billion
- Special Committee of Dream Global REIT in its $6.2 billion acquisition agreement with Blackstone, representing the largest M&A REIT deal in Canadian history
- Relo Group Inc. in its $230 million acquisition of BGRS Limited
- CPPIB in its investments in venture capital funds including Northleaf Catalyst Venture Fund II and HarbourVest Canada Growth Fund
- Whitehorse Liquidity Partners Inc. in respect of the launch of Fund IV, its fourth flagship fund
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Band 3, REITs 2024
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Corporate and M&A 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, Capital Markets: Debt, Capital Markets: Equity, M&A 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Finance & Securities 2023
Brenda is a member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, a group which comments on proposed changes to securities legislation on behalf of the Ontario Securities Bar and coordinates continuing legal education programs on behalf of the Ontario Bar Association in the area of securities law.
- Western University, LL.B., 2002
- Western University, B.A., 1999, Administrative and Commercial Studies - Financial and Economic
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Women in Capital Markets
Call to Bar
- 2003 Ontario
REITS and Income SecuritiesStephen Pincus, Brenda Gosselin, and Bill Gorman have co-authored The Benefits of Canada - Cross Border and Foreign REITs in the forth edition of The Legal Reviews Canada.To…
REITS and Income SecuritiesStephen Pincus, Brenda Gosselin, and Bill Gorman have co-authored The Benefits of Canada - Cross Border and Foreign REITs in the third edition of The Legal Reviews Canada.To view the…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalBrenda Gosselin and Stephen Pincus co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review 8th Edition. The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review is a…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalBrenda Gosselin and Stephen Pincus co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review 7th Edition. The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review is a…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalBrenda Gosselin and Stephen Pincus co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review 6th Edition. The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review is a…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalBrenda Gosselin and Stephen Pincus co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review 5th Edition. The publication provides an overview to legal and…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…