David is a partner in the business law group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on corporate and securities law. He advises public, private and multinational companies and their investors on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, going private transactions, as well as public and private debt and equity financings and corporate governance matters.
David is recognized as a “Rising Star” in the area of Capital Markets by The Legal 500 Canada and by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (M&A and Corporate Finance & Securities). He is also featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2022, and the Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining 2022.
David’s representative work includes acting for:
- Dye & Durham Limited in its initial public offering, listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and numerous follow-on public offerings
- The underwriters in connection with Loop Energy Inc.’s initial public offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- The underwriters in connection with Pivotree Inc.’s initial public offering and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange
- Canaccord Genuity Growth II Corp. in connection with its $537 million qualifying transaction with Taiga Motors Inc.
Public Mergers and Acquisitions
- Newmont Goldcorp Corporation in connection with its US$10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc.
- Newmont Mining Corporation in connection with its acquisition from NovaGold Resources of a 50% interest in the Galore Creek Project joint venture with Teck Resources
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with its $31 million acquisition of Mason Resources Corp.
- Canaccord Genuity Acquisition Corp. in its acquisition of Spark Power Group Inc., the first successful Qualifying Acquisition of Canada’s “Third Generation” SPACs
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with its $540 million hostile take-over bid for Augusta Resources Corp.
Private Mergers and Acquisitions
- Dye & Durham Corporation in connection with its purchase of the assets of Cyberbahn and Marque d'or from Thomson Reuters Canada Limited
- Searchlight Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of M&M Meat Shops, Canada’s largest independent retailer of specialty frozen food
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Corporate and M&A 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Next Generation Partner, Capital Markets 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Rising Star, Capital Markets 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining Recognized, Canada's Leading Mining Lawyers 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2022
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Repeatedly Recommended, Mergers & Acquisitions 2022
- Dalhousie University, J.D., 2012
- Dalhousie University, B.A., 2008, Honours
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2013 Ontario
Capital MarketsCNSX Markets Inc. (CSE) published amendments to its policies to create a new tier of non-venture issuers with listing requirements similar to those of the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and NEO Exchange…
Capital MarketsOn August 12, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) released proposed guidance on financial statement disclosure required for acquisitions completed before or concurrently with an IPO. If…
NEO Exchange Announces New Capital Markets Listing Vehicle: the Growth Acquisition Corporation™ or G-Corp™NEO Exchange Inc. (“NEO”) announced the creation of a new publicly traded acquisition vehicle, the Growth Acquisition Corporation (“G-Corp”), designed to enable private, mid-market growth companies to…
Dispute ResolutionThe Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published amendments that will streamline at-the-market distributions (“ATM Distributions”) in Canada (the “Amendments”). The Amendments will eliminate the…
TSX Amends Rules Governing Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations; Eliminates Shareholder Meeting RequirementOn October 4, 2018, the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) announced amendments to the rules relating to special purpose acquisition corporations (SPACs). The amendments simplify the process of forming and…
Capital MarketsOn May 31, 2018, the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) published for comment proposed amendments to the rules relating to special purpose acquisition corporations (SPACs). The proposed amendments would…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
MiningWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining once again features 7 Goodmans lawyers among Canadian experts in the mining industry.The Goodmans lawyers named…
Mergers and Acquisitions
Allan Goodman and David Coll-Black at World Law Group's Understanding SPAC Transactions: What it Takes to be "SPAC Ready"Join Goodmans partners Allan Goodman and David Coll-Black for an upcoming World Law Group webinar - Understanding SPAC Transactions: What it Takes to Be “SPAC Ready" on June 24 at 9:00 am EST. This…