Glenn Ernst serves as counsel in the Tax Group at Goodmans. Glenn’s practice focuses primarily on tax dispute resolution, including income tax, commodity tax, excise tax and land transfer tax disputes.
Glenn has extensive experience in income tax dispute resolution and has represented clients in respect of proposed assessments, assessments and reassessments made by provincial and federal authorities, such as the Canada Revenue Agency and the Minister of Finance (Ontario). He has represented clients at the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Tax Court of Canada and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Glenn also has extensive experience in tax compliance and tax administration issues and commodity tax and income tax planning.
Glenn is recognized as a leading tax lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada.
Banking and Financial Services
Project (PPP) Finance
Sales and Commodity Taxes
Structured Finance and Derivatives
Glenn’s representative work includes:
- Craig v The Queen, in the Supreme Court of Canada, successfully overturned a longstanding precedent of that court
- Amdocs v MNR, successfully challenged the CRA’s audit powers
- Daniels v The Queen, appeal overturned the disallowance of business investment loss
- Van Heerden v The Queen, successful appeal of a real estate investment loss
- Leadon Investments Inc.’s acquisition of a Canadian hotel portfolio from Silver Birch Hotels & Resorts for $1.1 billion
- Onex Corporation in its agreement to acquire WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Minto Apartment REIT in its $230 million initial public offering
- Pan-Canadian Investors Committee’s restructuring of the $32 billion Canadian asset-backed commercial paper market
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation’s modernization of gaming in Ontario
- Creation and subsequent sale of Highway 407 involving unique income tax, GST and land transfer tax issues
- Structured non-standard dispositive reorganization of multi-family private real estate holdings
- Acting for purchasers of distressed business including Essar Algoma Steel, White Birch Paper and Hamilton Specialty Bar
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2022
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Repeatedly Recommended, Litigation - Corporate Tax 2021
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2020
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Repeatedly Recommended, Litigation - Corporate Tax 2020
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2019
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1988
- Dalhousie University, B.Comm., 1985
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
Call to Bar
Ontario Land Transfer Tax: Government Amends De Minimis Partnership ExemptionYesterday, the Ontario Government enacted amendments to the “de minimis” exemption contained in the regulations to the Ontario Land Transfer Tax Act…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture Capital
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2023 EditionGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2022 EditionWe are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…
Mitchell Sherman and Glenn Ernst at Federated Press' Tax ConferenceInnovative Tax Planning for Real Estate Transactions January 18 & 19, 2010, Toronto Metropolitan Hotel Toronto, Ontario Monday, January 18, 2010 11:40 - 12:40 pm: Tax-Deferred…