Josh Zelikovitz is an associate in the Competition and Foreign Investment Group at Goodmans.
Josh advises on all aspects of Canadian competition law, including mergers, behavioural matters and corporate compliance. Josh also advises on mergers subject to the Investment Canada Act and the Canada Transportation Act.
Before joining Goodmans, Josh was a competition law officer with the Competition Bureau, Canada’s competition and antitrust regulator. As a member of the Mergers Directorate, Josh was involved in some of the Bureau’s most significant merger reviews, including in the agriculture, aerospace, natural resources, insurance and manufacturing sectors.
Josh is an expert in merger notification compliance. He previously served as a member of the Merger Intelligence and Notification Unit, advising merging parties and federal public servants on the merger notification compliance requirements of the Competition Act.
He is recommended by The Legal 500 Canada for his work in competition law.
Canadian M&A Competition Clearances
- WestJet in its acquisition of Sunwing Airlines and Sunwing Vacations, notably including clearances under the Canada Transportation Act
- BDT & Company, in its merger with MSD Partners, LP
- Uber Freight, in its USD $2.25 billion acquisition of Transplace
- Revera, in its joint venture with Harrison Street in respect of luxury retirement living communities
- Canadian and non-Canadian private equity funds in transactions of portfolio companies
- pharmaceutical industry clients in defence of allegations of agreements among competitors by the Competition Bureau
- a Canadian client in defence of allegations of misleading representations by the Competition Bureau
- a mining industry client demonstrating its compliance with undertakings under the Investment Canada Act
- an agriculture industry client in respect of the competition aspects of a strategic joint venture
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Competition and Antitrust 2024
- University of Windsor, J.D., 2015
- Queen's University, B.A., 2010
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canada Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2016 Ontario
Competition and Foreign InvestmentThe Government of Canada proposes a number of new amendments to the Competition Act (the “Act”) that will make it easier for the Competition Bureau to challenge mergers. This follows the Government’s…
Competition and Foreign Investment
Government of Canada Introduces Legislation to Amend the Competition Act, end the “Efficiencies Defence”Last week, the Government of Canada announced its intention to amend the Competition Act (the “Act”) in three ways. Yesterday, the government introduced Bill C-56, draft legislation that implements…
Competition and Foreign InvestmentThe Canadian government is enhancing its national security scrutiny of foreign investments, and pending changes to the Investment Canada Act (ICA) are likely to impact deal timing and risk allocation…
Competition and Foreign Investment
Government of Canada announces changes to the Competition Act: end of the “efficiencies defence”, return of compelled information production for market studiesOn September 14, 2023, the Government of Canada announced its “fighting for the middle class” legislative plan. As part of that plan, the government intends to make substantial changes to the…
Competition and Foreign InvestmentMichael Koch, David Rosner, Devin Persaud, Josh Zelikovitz and Jon Wall co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Public Competition Enforcement Review 145h Edition. The Public Competition…
Competition and Foreign InvestmentThe Competition Act has been amended to include a new criminal offence for employers that enter into agreements to fix wages, or that agree not to solicit or hire each other’s employees. The amendment…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Competition and Foreign InvestmentGoodmans is pleased to announce Josh Zelikovitz has joined the firm as an associate in the Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment group. Josh will be a terrific addition to our firm. We…