Michael Bertrand is a partner in the Banking and Financial Services Group at Goodmans.
Michael has over 20 years’ experience representing both domestic and international lenders and borrowers in a broad range of financing transactions, including corporate lending, private debt, acquisition finance, real estate finance and construction loans, and public debt offerings. Michael has in-depth expertise in the private equity, real estate development, technology and diversified industries.
Michael practised at a large international firm in New York City from 2001 to 2005.
Michael is recognized by Chambers Global and Chambers Canada in Band 4 in Banking and Finance Law. He is also recognized as a leading practitioner in the 2015 through 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada, is “repeatedly recommended” by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, is “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000, and is “recommended” by The Legal 500 Canada for Banking and Finance Law.
Michael’s representative work includes acting for:
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with credit facilities provided to various technology companies including Hootsuite Inc., Fleet Complete, Profound Medical Inc., Lifespeak Inc. and Altus Assessments Inc.
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with syndicated pre-development and construction facilities to support various projects in Ontario including the Friday Harbour residential development and resort, the Berczy Warden residential development, the Berczy Elgin residential development, and a variety of other commercial developments
- A variety of private debt funds including Twin Brook Capital Partners, Apogen Capital, Ares Capital and Guggenheim Credit Services in connection with various acquisition financings
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Canada Branch in connection with a variety of syndicated and bilateral financing transactions in Canada
- Syndicates of lenders in connection with various types of credit facilities provided to Brookfield Corporation, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, Brookfield Energy Partners, Brookfield Business Partners, Brookfield Property Partners, Brookfield Reinsurance Partners and other Brookfield affiliates
- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in connection with the refinancing of its long-term debt facilities
- Postmedia Network Inc., Four Seasons Hotels Limited, Enwave Energy Corporation, RF Capital Group Inc. and other Canadian-based businesses in connection with various senior debt financing transactions
- Northern Private Capital in the financing of its acquisition of MDA Corporation from Maxar Technologies
- McCain Capital Partners, One Rock Capital Partners, Advent International, Bain Capital, Apax Partners, Clairvest Group, Wind Point Partners, Chicago Growth Partners and a number of other private equity sponsors on the financing of various Canadian acquisitions
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Recognized, Banking & Finance 2024
Chambers Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance 2024
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Banking and Finance 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Highly Regarded, Banking 2023
Chambers Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance 2023
- Queen's University, LL.B.
- University of Winnipeg, B.A., with highest distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
Call to Bar
- 2005 Ontario
- 2001 New York
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…