Michael Bertrand is a partner in the Banking and Financial Services Group at Goodmans.
He has a broad financing practice that includes many industries, with a particular emphasis on transactions involving corporate lending, acquisition finance, construction loans, real estate finance, private placements and bond offerings. Michael often represents U.S.-based financial institutions and private equity sponsors in cross-border financings and secured transactions.
Michael practised at a large international firm in New York City from 2001 to 2005.
Michael is recognized by Chambers Canada 2023 in Band 4 in Banking and Finance Law (Nationwide) and by The Legal 500 Canada 2023 as a “Next Generation Partner” in Banking and Finance Law. He is also recognized as a leading practitioner in the 2015 through 2023 editions of Best Lawyers in Canada, is “repeatedly recommended” by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Banking and Finance Law and is “Highly Regarded” in Banking and Finance by IFLR 1000.
Michael’s representative work includes acting for:
- Syndicates of lenders in connection with various types of credit facilities provided to Brookfield Asset Management, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, Brookfield Energy Partners, Brookfield Business Partners, Brookfield Property Partners, Brookfield Reinsurance Partners and other Brookfield affiliates
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with credit facilities provided to various technology companies including Hootsuite Inc., Fleet Complete, Profound Medical Inc., Lifespeak Inc. and Altus Assessments Inc.
- Twin Brook Capital Partners and Madison Capital in conneciton with various acquisition financings, including DW Healthcare’s acquisition of Canadian-based Bio-Agri Mix Holdings Inc.
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. and Anchorage Capital Group in connection with a $380 million bridge facility relating to an auxiliary ship conversion
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with syndicated pre-development and construction facilities to support various projects in Ontario including the Friday Harbour residential development and resort, the Berczy Warden residential development and the Berczy Elgin residential development
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a US$2.5 billion loan facility to fund the acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties
- Northern Private Capital in the financing of its acquisition of MDA Corporation from Maxar Technologies
- Searchlight Capital Partners in the financing of its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- One Rock Capital Partners, Advent International, Bain Capital, Apax Partners, Clairvest Group, Wind Point Partners, Chicago Growth Partners and a number of other private equity sponsors on the financing of various acquisitions
- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in connection with the refinancing of its long-term debt facilities
- Postmedia Network Inc., Four Seasons Hotels Limited, Enwave Energy Corporation, RF Capital Group Inc. and other Canadian-based businesses in connection with various senior debt financing transactions
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance 2023
The Legal 500 Next Generation Partner, Banking and Finance 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance Law 2023
The Legal 500 Next Generation Partner, Banking and Finance 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Highly Regarded, Banking 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Banking and Finance 2022
- Queen's University, LL.B.
- University of Winnipeg, B.A., with highest distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
Call to Bar
- 2005 Ontario
- 2001 New York
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…