Michael Partridge is a partner at Goodmans.
His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions and securities law. He also regularly advises boards of directors and activist shareholders on corporate governance matters and proxy contests. Michael practiced for two years at a leading Silicon Valley based law firm, where he focused on representing emerging growth companies and venture capital funds in a variety of transactions.
Michael has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities, private equity and mining by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, for corporate governance, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, mining, natural resources and securities law by Best Lawyers in Canada, for mining and mergers and acquisitions by The Legal 500 Canada, and is featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A, the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences, and the Lexpert Special Edition: Mining.
Michael’s experience includes representing:
- Algoma Steel Inc. in connection with its combination with Legato Merger Corp., a Nasdaq listed special purpose acquisition company
- OverActive Media Corp. in connection with its listing on the TSXV by way of a ‘qualifying transaction’ and a concurrent equity financing for gross proceeds of approximately $40 million
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with a $86 million bought deal equity offering and a $325 million offering of senior unsecured notes
- Newmont Corporation in connection with its $393 million acquisition of GT Gold Corp.
- Dragnoneer Investment Group in connection with its investments in Wealthsimple Technologies and PointClickCare
- GTCR in connection with various acquisitions of, and investments in, Canadian based businesses
- Amp Solar Group in connection with the US$374 strategic growth investment commitment from The Carlyle Group
- StarBlue Inc. in connection with its US$437 million acquisition by Sangoma Technologies Corporation
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with a proxy contest launched by Waterton Global Resources, Inc.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in the US$4.4 billion sale of Hub International by Apax Partners to Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Kilmer Sports Inc. and Lawrence M. Tanenbaum in connection with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan's agreement to sell its ownership interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. to BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. for $1.32 billion and the associated increase of KSI's ownership interest to 25%
- Western Coal Corp. in connection with its $3.3 billion merger with Walter Energy, Inc.
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Corporate and M&A 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Securities Law 2024
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining Recognized, Canada's Leading Mining Lawyers 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining, Private Equity 2023
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1996
- Western University, B.A., 1993
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canada Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
Canadian Securities Administrators Announce Guidance on Trading of Value-Referenced Crypto Assets for Crypto Trading PlatformsOn October 5, 2023, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 21-333 – Crypto Asset Trading Platforms: Terms and Conditions for Trading Value-Referenced Crypto Assets with…
Canadian Securities Administrators Announce Enhanced Pre-Registration Undertaking Requirements for Crypto Trading PlatformsFurther to its December 12, 2022 announcement, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 21-332 – Crypto Asset Trading Platforms: Pre-Registration Undertakings (“SN…
Capital MarketsOn April 14, 2022, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) issued a consultation paper (the “Consultation Paper”) seeking feedback about the efficacy of certain key provisions of National…
TechnologyOn September 23, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) provided detailed guidance directed at the marketing practices…
TechnologyOn March 29, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) released much anticipated comprehensive guidance for crypto-asset…
Mergers and AcquisitionsPrivate investment in public equity (PIPE) transactions have become increasingly common in Canada recently, a trend that has accelerated due to the impact of COVID-19 on financial markets and cash…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
MiningWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Mining has recognized 8 Goodmans lawyers among Canada's top-ranked experts in the mining industry.The Goodmans lawyers named in…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…