Michael Partridge is a partner at Goodmans.
His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions and securities law. He also regularly advises boards of directors and activist shareholders on corporate governance matters and proxy contests. Michael practiced for two years at a leading Silicon Valley based law firm, where he focused on representing emerging growth companies and venture capital funds in a variety of transactions.
Michael is recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities, private equity and mining by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, for corporate governance, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, mining, natural resources and securities law by Best Lawyers in Canada, for mining by The Legal 500 Canada and is featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A, the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences, and the Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining.
Michael’s experience includes representing:
- Algoma Steel Inc. in connection with its combination with Legato Merger Corp., a Nasdaq listed special purpose acquisition company
- OverActive Media Corp. in connection with its listing on the TSXV by way of a ‘qualifying transaction’ and a concurrent equity financing for gross proceeds of approximately $40 million
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with a $86 million bought deal equity offering and a $325 million offering of senior unsecured notes
- Newmont Corporation in connection with its $393 million acquisition of GT Gold Corp.Dragnoneer Investment Group in connection with its investments in Wealthsimple Technologies and PointClickCare
- GTCR in connection with various acquisitions of, and investments in, Canadian based businesses
- Amp Solar Group in connection with the US$374 strategic growth investment commitment from The Carlyle Group
- StarBlue Inc. in connection with its US$437 million acquisition by Sangoma Technologies Corporation
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with a proxy contest launched by Waterton Global Resources, Inc.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in the US$4.4 billion sale of Hub International by Apax Partners to Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Kilmer Sports Inc. and Lawrence M. Tanenbaum in connection with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan's agreement to sell its ownership interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. to BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. for $1.32 billion and the associated increase of KSI's ownership interest to 25%
- Western Coal Corp. in connection with its $3.3 billion merger with Walter Energy, Inc.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Securities Law 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining Recognized, Canada's Leading Mining Lawyers 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Securities Law 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Recognized - Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2022
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Consistently Recommended, Mergers & Acquisitions 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1996
- Western University, B.A., 1993
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canada Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
Capital MarketsOn April 14, 2022, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) issued a consultation paper (the “Consultation Paper”) seeking feedback about the efficacy of certain key provisions of National…
TechnologyOn September 23, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) provided detailed guidance directed at the marketing practices…
TechnologyOn March 29, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) released much anticipated comprehensive guidance for crypto-asset…
Mergers and AcquisitionsPrivate investment in public equity (PIPE) transactions have become increasingly common in Canada recently, a trend that has accelerated due to the impact of COVID-19 on financial markets and cash…
Capital MarketsOn October 1, 2020, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (the “Court”) ruled that in 2017, Canadian technology company, Kik Interactive Inc., violated U.S. federal securities…
Capital MarketsThe Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) recently published for comment proposed amendments to the offering memorandum prospectus exemption (the “OM Exemption”) for issuers engaged in “real estate…
News & Events
MiningWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Global Mining once again features 7 Goodmans lawyers among Canadian experts in the mining industry.The Goodmans lawyers named…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
TechnologyWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences has once again recognized Goodmans LLP, with 15 Goodmans lawyers recognized named among Canada's…