Michelle Vigod is a partner in a business law group and Co-Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group at Goodmans.
She has a broad transactional practice involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance. Michelle advises public and private companies on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, take-over bids, capital raising, corporate reorganizations and private equity transactions.
In addition to transactional work, Michelle provides ongoing advice to clients on matters relating to continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance, legislative compliance and general corporate law.
In 2020, Michelle was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. She has also been recognized as a leading practitioner by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for mergers and acquisitions and private equity, the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2022, IFLR 1000 for mergers and acquisitions and capital markets: debt and equity, and by Best Lawyers in Canada for corporate law, leveraged buyouts and private equity law and securities law.
Michelle’s recent transactional experience includes representing:
- The Special Committee of the Board of Brookfield Property Partners in its $6.5 billion privatization transaction
- Vertu Capital in connection with its sale of Firmex
- Ceridian in connection with its acquisition of Ideal
- Primo Water Corporation (formerly, Cott Corporation) in its acquisition of Primo Water for US$775 million, and on various matters including acquisitions, public offerings, private placements and other general corporate and securities law matters
- ZMC Capital in connection with its acquisition of Second City
- Brookfield Infrastructure in the sale of its interest in a Chilean transmission business for US$1.3 billion
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of DH Corporation and combination of D+H with its portfolio company, Misys, for $4.8 billion
- Acasta Enterprises Inc. in connection with its qualifying acquisition of Apollo Health and Beauty Care Partnership, JemPak Corporation and Stellwagen Group with a total enterprise value of $1.1 billion
- Highbridge Principal Strategies LLC in connection with its acquisition of a non-controlling equity interest in GFL Environmental Inc. and the reorganization of share capital of GFL Environmental Inc.
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in connection with its going-private transaction by Brookfield Asset Management, debt financings and other general corporate matters
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Securities Law 2023
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, Capital Markets: Equity 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, M&A 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, Capital Markets: Debt 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Securities Law 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Recognized - Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2022
Michelle is a member of the firm's technology group and is the co-chair of the firm's Women's Success Committee.
Michelle is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law in the Global Professional Masters of Law Program where she teaches Business Organizations.
Michelle was called to the New York bar in 2009 and to the Ontario bar in 2012. Prior to joining Goodmans, Michelle was a corporate lawyer in the New York office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2008
- McGill University, B.Comm., 2003, with distinction, Strategy and Finance
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Women in Private Equity
- Canadian Women in Capital Markets
- American Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2012 Ontario
- 2009 New York
Mergers and AcquisitionsRichard Corley, Allan Goodman, Michelle Vigod and Jessica Bishop authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2nd Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter:Deals in…
Mergers and AcquisitionsRichard Corley, Allan Goodman and Michelle Vigod authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 1st Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter: Deals in the technology…
Mergers and AcquisitionsStephen Pincus, Michelle Vigod and Julian Di Bartolomeo have co-authored Private Acquisitions in Canada: Market Analysis Overview, a section of Thomson Reuters Practical Law's Private Mergers and…
Canadian Securities Regulators Offer Filing Relief for Market Participants and Support Virtual MeetingsThe Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) announced temporary extensions to filing deadlines and indicated they will publish guidance for companies considering hosting annual meetings online…
Capital MarketsThe Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) recently published OSC Staff Notice 45-715 2017 Ontario Exempt Market Report (the “Report”) which, among other things summarizes Ontario exempt market activity…
Capital MarketsOn March 9, 2017, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) released Staff Notice 51-348 Staff’s Review of Social Media Used by Reporting Issuers (the “Staff Notice”), which summarizes staff’s…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
In honour of International Women’s Day, Goodmans is pleased to host an incredible panel for a candid conversation on sponsorship. Sponsorship is an important tool for career advancement and…