Michelle Vigod is a partner in a business law group and Co-Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group at Goodmans.
She has a broad transactional practice involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance. Michelle advises public and private companies on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, take-over bids, capital raising, corporate reorganizations and private equity transactions.
In addition to transactional work, Michelle provides ongoing advice to clients on matters relating to continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance, legislative compliance and general corporate law.
In 2020, Michelle was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. She has also been recognized as a leading practitioner by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and corporate finance and securities, the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2023, IFLR1000 for mergers and acquisitions and capital markets: debt and equity, by Best Lawyers in Canada for corporate law, leveraged buyouts and private equity law and securities law, and by The Legal 500 Canada for mergers and acquisitions.
Michelle’s recent transactional experience includes representing:
- The Special Committee of the Board of Brookfield Property Partners in its $6.5 billion privatization transaction
- Vertu Capital in connection with its sale of Firmex
- Ceridian in connection with its acquisition of Ideal
- Primo Water Corporation (formerly, Cott Corporation) in its acquisition of Primo Water for US$775 million, and on various matters including acquisitions, public offerings, private placements and other general corporate and securities law matters
- ZMC Capital in connection with its acquisition of Second City
- Brookfield Infrastructure in the sale of its interest in a Chilean transmission business for US$1.3 billion
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of DH Corporation and combination of D+H with its portfolio company, Misys, for $4.8 billion
- Acasta Enterprises Inc. in connection with its qualifying acquisition of Apollo Health and Beauty Care Partnership, JemPak Corporation and Stellwagen Group with a total enterprise value of $1.1 billion
- Highbridge Principal Strategies LLC in connection with its acquisition of a non-controlling equity interest in GFL Environmental Inc. and the reorganization of share capital of GFL Environmental Inc.
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in connection with its going-private transaction by Brookfield Asset Management, debt financings and other general corporate matters
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Corporate M&A 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Securities Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, Capital Markets: Debt, Capital Markets: Equity, M&A 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Securities Law 2023
Michelle is a member of the firm's technology group and is the co-chair of the firm's Women's Success Committee.
Michelle is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law in the Global Professional Masters of Law Program where she teaches Business Organizations.
Michelle was called to the New York bar in 2009 and to the Ontario bar in 2012. Prior to joining Goodmans, Michelle was a corporate lawyer in the New York office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2008
- McGill University, B.Comm., 2003, with distinction, Strategy and Finance
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Women in Private Equity
- Canadian Women in Capital Markets
- American Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2012 Ontario
- 2009 New York
Capital MarketsMichelle Vigod, Julian Di Bartolomeo and Duncan Lurie published an article in Law360 Canada, part of LexisNexis Canada Inc.Excerpt from "Proxy advisors update Canadian voting guidelines for…
Capital MarketsProxy advisors Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) and Glass Lewis have updated their respective Canadian Proxy Voting Guidelines for 2024. This year’s updates address a number of pressing issues…
Capital MarketsReporting issuers in Canada are subject to governance standards and continuous disclosure obligations under securities laws and stock exchange rules.From time to time, securities regulators, including…
Capital MarketsProxy advisor Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) recently updated its Benchmark Proxy Voting Guidelines, which generally apply to shareholder meetings beginning in 2023 or 2024. The updates…
Mergers and AcquisitionsAllan Goodman, Michelle Vigod and Jessica Bishop authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2nd Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter:Deals in the…
Mergers and AcquisitionsAllan Goodman and Michelle Vigod authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 1st Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter: Deals in the technology sector…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
- 09:30 AM Shareholder Activism
Shareholder Activism in Canada: Key Considerations for Both Boards and Activists in Preparation for the 2024 Proxy SeasonShareholder activism continues to be a major force for change in Canadian capital markets and remained strong in Canada for the 2023 proxy season. We see no reason for this level of activity to…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…