Neil Sheehy is a partner and former head of a business law group at Goodmans, and a current member of the Compensation Committee.
Neil is a Contact Partner with respect to the firm’s membership in the World Law Group, a Chambers ranked Elite, international network of law firms. Neil currently serves on the WLG Membership Committee and is a past President and past member of the Board of Directors of the network.
Neil’s practice involves all areas of corporate law, with a particular focus on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and private equity transactions. Neil has represented a broad range of clients on cross-border transactions in which he acts for clients purchasing or selling businesses in Canada as well as for issuers undertaking public offerings and private placements of securities in Canada. On an ongoing basis, Neil advises many companies in connection with securities compliance, corporate governance and general corporate/commercial matters.
Neil was recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as “2022 Lawyer of the Year” in Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Law and as a leading lawyer in the 2022 and 2023 editions for Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate law, M&A law, Securities law, and Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Law. Neil is also recommended in The Legal 500 Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory , the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A and the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences.
Neil's representative transactions include acting for:
Private Equity and M&A
- OMERS Private Equity Inc. and various portfolio companies in numerous private equity transactions, including the acquisition and sale of and acquisitions by Golf Town Canada Inc., Give and Go Prepared Foods Corp. and Logibec Inc. and the sale of and acquisitions by MMM Group Limited
- Advent International in connection with numerous private equity transactions, including its acquisition of RGL Reservoir Management and NCS Multistage, Inc.
- Kilmer Group in connection with its acquisition of Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited and the acquisition and sale of Tribal Clothing, Game TV and Give and Go Prepared Foods Corp.
- Standard Communications Inc. in connection with its sale to Astral Media Inc.
- Reporting issuers in connection with public offerings and ongoing securities law compliance, including Cott Corporation, The Keg Royalties Income Fund, MCAN Mortgage Corporation and Smartcentres Real Estate Investment Trust
- Highland Therapeutics Inc. and Ironshore Pharmaceuticals Inc. in connection with ongoing strategic advice from start-up to product launch, including in connection with a series of cross border Note and Revenue, Royalty Offerings
- Peace Naturals Project Inc., Canada’s first non-incumbent licensed producer of medicinal cannabis, as strategic commercial advisor in connection with start-up to sale to Cronos Group, as well as a series of equity and debt financings
Awards & Recognition
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Private Equity 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1990
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1987
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
Mergers and Acquisitions
Changes Coming to the OBCA Will Give Ontario Businesses More FlexibilityOntario’s Bill 213 – the Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2020 (the “Act”) – recently received Royal Assent, and its provisions, as they pertain to Ontario’s Business Corporations Act (the…
World Law Group 2020 Cannabis GuideVictor Liu, Neil Sheehy and Danielle Levesque are contributors to the Canada section of the World Law Group 2020 Cannabis Guide. The Guide covers legislation, governing bodies, import and export…
News & Events
Banking and Financial Services
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023 Continues to Recognize GoodmansWe are proud to announce we have once again been recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023.85 Goodmans lawyers have been recognized as top-tier in their fields and leaders across…
Banking and Financial Services
The Legal 500 Canada Continues to Recognize Goodmans with Top Tier RankingsWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Private Equity and Venture Capital
100+ Goodmans lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada: 2023 EditionGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…