Neil Sheehy is a partner and former head of a business law group at Goodmans, and a current member of the Compensation Committee.
Neil is a Contact Partner with respect to the firm’s membership in the World Law Group, a Chambers ranked Elite, international network of law firms. Neil currently serves on the WLG Membership Committee and is a past President and past member of the Board of Directors of the network.
Neil’s practice involves all areas of corporate law, with a particular focus on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and private equity transactions. Neil has represented a broad range of clients on cross-border transactions in which he acts for clients purchasing or selling businesses in Canada as well as for issuers undertaking public offerings and private placements of securities in Canada. On an ongoing basis, Neil advises many companies in connection with securities compliance, corporate governance and general corporate/commercial matters.
Neil is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as “2022 Lawyer of the Year” in Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Law and as a leading lawyer in corporate governance, corporate law, M&A and securities. Neil is also recommended in The Legal 500 Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory , the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A and the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences.
Neil's representative transactions include acting for:
Private Equity and M&A
- OMERS Private Equity Inc. and various portfolio companies in numerous private equity transactions, including the acquisition and sale of and acquisitions by Golf Town Canada Inc., Give and Go Prepared Foods Corp. and Logibec Inc. and the sale of and acquisitions by MMM Group Limited
- Advent International in connection with numerous private equity transactions, including its acquisition of RGL Reservoir Management and NCS Multistage, Inc.
- Kilmer Group in connection with its acquisition of Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited and the acquisition and sale of Tribal Clothing, Game TV and Give and Go Prepared Foods Corp.
- Standard Communications Inc. in connection with its sale to Astral Media Inc.
- Reporting issuers in connection with public offerings and ongoing securities law compliance, including Cott Corporation, The Keg Royalties Income Fund, MCAN Mortgage Corporation and Smartcentres Real Estate Investment Trust
- Highland Therapeutics Inc. and Ironshore Pharmaceuticals Inc. in connection with ongoing strategic advice from start-up to product launch, including in connection with a series of cross border Note and Revenue, Royalty Offerings
- Peace Naturals Project Inc., Canada’s first non-incumbent licensed producer of medicinal cannabis, as strategic commercial advisor in connection with start-up to sale to Cronos Group, as well as a series of equity and debt financings
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Cannabis 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Private Equity 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Securities Law, Corporate Finance and Securities 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Lawyer of the Year, Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Law 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Lawyer of the Year, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1990
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1987
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
Mergers and AcquisitionsOntario’s Bill 213 – the Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2020 (the “Act”) – recently received Royal Assent, and its provisions, as they pertain to Ontario’s Business Corporations Act (the…
CannabisVictor Liu, Neil Sheehy and Danielle Levesque are contributors to the Canada section of the World Law Group 2020 Cannabis Guide. The Guide covers legislation, governing bodies, import and export…
News & Events
TechnologyWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences has once again recognized Goodmans LLP, with 15 Goodmans lawyers recognized named among Canada's…
We are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…
Goodmans is pleased to announce that Neil Sheehy has been elected as President of the World Law Group, the world’s premier network of independent law firms. Neil previously served as the World…