Shadi Varkiani is an associate in a business law group at Goodmans.
She is developing a broad practice in corporate matters, including, public and private mergers and acquisitions, securities law, technology and aging and healthcare.
Shadi’s representative work includes acting for:
- E Automotive Inc. d/b/a E Inc., a leading Canadian digital automotive auction and retail platform, in connection with its substantial issuer bid and voluntary delisting.
- Revera Inc., in connection with Extendicare Inc.’s acquisition of Revera’s interest in a portfolio of 25 long-term care homes.
- Revera Inc., in connection with its sale of a portfolio of six long-term care homes in British Columbia.
- Latécoère S.A, a Tier 1 partner of the world's largest aircraft manufacturers, in relation to the acquisition of Avcorp Industries Inc., a Canadian-domiciled publicly traded company that builds major airframe structures for leading aircraft manufacturers, by way of plan of arrangement.
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in connection with its going-private transaction by Brookfield Asset Management and other general corporate matters.
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture with Harrison Street to acquire a portfolio of four luxury retirement living communities in Ontario.
- An ad hoc committee of lenders in its acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a credit bid under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act for $1.2 billion.
Shadi is the assistant editor of Canadian Forms & Precedents, Debtor/Creditor, Chapter on Construction Liens.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 2020
- Wilfrid Laurier University, B.A., 2016, Economics & Financial Management
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2021 Ontario
Canadian Securities Administrators Announce Guidance on Trading of Value-Referenced Crypto Assets for Crypto Trading PlatformsOn October 5, 2023, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 21-333 – Crypto Asset Trading Platforms: Terms and Conditions for Trading Value-Referenced Crypto Assets with…
New CSA Exemption Clarifies Proxy Requirements for Uncontested Director Elections of CBCA Public CompaniesOn January 31, 2023, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published an exemption (the “Exemption”) that exempts public companies incorporated under the Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA…
Capital MarketsReporting issuers in Canada are subject to governance standards and continuous disclosure obligations under securities laws and stock exchange rules. This Update discusses relevant governance and…
TechnologyOn September 23, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) provided detailed guidance directed at the marketing practices…
TechnologyWikipedia and Google have been in a long-term, unspoken partnership in which Wikipedia creates the information that Google produces as results to queries, and in return Google strengthens Wikipedia’s…
TechnologySwedish battery manufacturer Northvolt received a ten-year $14 billion battery order from Volkswagen (“VW”). This deal comes on the heels of Northvolt’s $1 billion financing in 2019, led by Goldman…