Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Julie is a Partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. She joined the firm in 1998 after clerking for Justice Frank Iacobucci at the Supreme Court of Canada.
Julie has extensive experience in complex commercial disputes, regulatory/administrative law proceedings, competition law, white collar crime, internal investigations, as well as domestic and international arbitrations. She has appeared on multiple occasions before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court and all levels of Court in Ontario.
Selected recent activities:
- Lead counsel to Uber Canada Inc. (and related companies) in various matters, including the successful defence of an application in which the City of Toronto attempted to shut down Uber’s operations in Toronto, and the defence of various proceedings brought alleging breaches of Toronto’s Municipal Code and City of Mississauga By-laws
- Counsel to the Vancouver Airport Authority in defence of an application brought by the Commissioner of Competition before the Competition Tribunal, seeking orders pursuant to section 79 of the Competition Act, including acting as lead counsel on successful appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal, which resulted in a fundamental change to the law of privilege in the competition law context
- Counsel to Atlantic Lottery Corporation on an appeal to the Newfoundland Court of Appeal in respect of an order certifying a class action relating to video lottery terminals
- Advises Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation in respect of their modernization of gaming in Ontario
- Counsel to Apotex Inc. in respect of a number of judicial review proceedings against the federal Minister of Health arising out of the Minister’s decision to impose an “Import Ban” on products manufactured in certain Indian manufacturing facilities
- Trial counsel to the Monitor of Nortel in an unprecedented cross-border dispute over the allocation of the proceeds of sale of Nortel’s assets, including advice on IP, business law and valuation issues
- Advised Infrastructure Ontario in connection with the design, build, finance, operate and maintain project for the 23 service centres located on Highways 400 and 401 in the Province of Ontario
- Co-lead counsel to selected defendants in defence of motions for a Mareva injunction in Petro-Diamond Inc. v. Verdeo Inc.
- Counsel to appellant on appeal from a decision to enforce a foreign judgment in Van Damme v. Gelber
- Appellate counsel to the Ad Hoc Committee of Noteholders of Sino-Forest Corporation on appeal involving the interpretation of provisions of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Appellate counsel to Bell Media Inc. on a reference to Supreme Court of Canada opposite Canada’s largest cable companies
- Counsel to Apotex Inc. in defence of motion for interlocutory injunction
- Counsel to one of eight co-accused in R. v. JTI Macdonald, et al., one of the largest criminal fraud prosecutions in Canadian history
- Counsel on various international arbitrations, including matters conducted under the ICC Rules, LCIA Rules, and on an ad hoc basis
- Advised Qualcomm Inc. regarding competition law matters
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1996)
University of Toronto (B.A. (English), 1992)