Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Brad Halfin is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. He has a broad-based practice focused principally in the areas of construction litigation, arbitrations, and commercial litigation.
Brad’s construction law practice involves resolving disputes for owners, general contractors and subcontractors, specifically in the areas of construction liens, contract claims and negligence claims. He has significant experience asserting and defending claims for additional compensation in connection with extended duration claims on complex construction projects.
Brad’s practice involves a broad range of commercial litigation matters, including insurance defence and real estate matters. Brad has extensive experience in domestic and international arbitrations, including rent review and reset arbitrations for a number of high profile locations across Ontario.
Brad’s representative work includes acting for:
- Walsh Construction Company Canada in connection with asserting and defending claims on the Pioneer Village Subway Station, constructed as part of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Station
- Geo. A. Kelson Company Ltd., a mechanical subcontractor, on a number of matters, including successfully advancing and resolving claims on the Union Station Revitalization Project, and the Aga Khan Museum
- a large property services manager and developer in connection with a sixty-day rent reset arbitration for a high profile location in Toronto
- various landlords in connection with successfully holding or increasing rental rates in locations across the Greater Toronto Area
- Consolidated Contractors Group SAL in connection with an application to set aside an international arbitration award arising out of a mining project in Africa
- King Cross Contracting Ltd., a speciality pipe subcontractor, in connection with disputes arising from the installation of watermains and feedermains on a regional project
- The MEARIE Group in connection with defending various damages claims against hydro utility companies across Ontario
- Navigators Insurance in connection with defending product liability claims in the energy and amusement park sectors
Brad has been recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as Repeatedly Recommended in Construction Law. Brad has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada – 2021 Edition in the area of Construction Law.
Brad is a contributor to a number of industry trade publications and associations. He is the editor of Canadian Forms & Precedents, Construction Liens Chapter, part editor of the firm’s Construction Law Update Newsletter, and co-authored the Canadian chapter of Global Legal Insights’ International Arbitration, 2nd to 6th editions.
Brad is active in the construction law community and serves as an Executive Member of the Construction and Infrastructure Section of the Ontario Bar Association.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 2008)
University of Western Ontario (B.A.C.S., with distinction, 2005)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||