Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Daniel Cohen is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans.
Daniel has extensive experience in class actions, complex commercial disputes (including administrative/regulatory disputes), construction law and trademark law. Daniel routinely acts for large and mid-size corporations in all manner of disputes. He has acted both for and against the Ontario government and governmental regulatory bodies. He has also acted on numerous occasions against the federal government in both negligence and judicial review proceedings. Daniel has successfully obtained injunctive relief for clients, including in fraud cases.
Daniel has appeared in arbitrations and mediations on behalf of his clients and has appeared before all levels of court, including the Ontario and Federal Courts of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Daniel’s representative work includes acting for:
- MUFG Bank (formerly The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ) in a class action regarding the Foreign Exchange market
- Capital One Financial Corporation and Capital One Bank (Canada Branch) in a class action regarding credit card interchange fees
- BASF Canada, BASF Corporation and BASF A.G. in a class action regarding the polyether polyol market
- Cineplex Inc. in a claim for the breach of a multi-billion dollar arrangement agreement
- The Province of Ontario in respect of a dispute with the ownership group of Highway 407-ETR
- Apotex Inc. in numerous separate judicial review proceedings against the federal and provincial governments in respect of a range of matters, including product approvals pursuant to the Food and Drugs Act and its Regulations, listings on the Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary, and two successful challenges of iterations of an “Import Ban” imposed by the federal government regarding certain foreign drug products
- Apotex Inc. in respect of several separate negligence proceedings against the federal government, including successfully obtaining, at trial, a finding of “bad faith” against the federal government in respect of its handling of the approval process of a particular drug product
- Leisureworld, Inc. in successfully obtaining a mareva injunction and the civil enforcement of a criminal restitution order
- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. in a commercial matter
- Walsh Construction Company Canada Inc. in a $200M claim against the Toronto Transit Commission
- Bondfield Construction Company Limited In a $100M claim against the Toronto Transit Commission
- Minto Midtown Inc. in a dispute with several subtrades in respect of a major condominium development in midtown Toronto
- Vincor/Constellation Brands/Arterra in a multitude of successful trademark opposition proceedings, infringement matters and an appeal before the Federal Court of Canada
- RioCan in successfully resolving several trademark infringement matters
- Clover Leaf in a trademark opposition proceeding
PRO BONO AND PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT
Daniel acted as Pro Bono counsel to various intervenors in an appeal before the Supreme Court of Canada in respect of the judicial review of a high profile deportation matter.
Daniel has authored client updates in the areas of class actions and trademark law. He is the former Chair of the firm’s Associates Committee and has been extensively involved in mentoring and student recruitment.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (LL.B. (With Distinction), 2001)
University of Western Ontario (B.A. (Political Science, With Distinction), 1998)
Canadian Bar Association
|Year of Call||