Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Ira Barkin is a partner and co-heads the Commercial Real Estate Group at Goodmans.
Ira plays a leading role in large acquisition, financing, development, restructuring and securitization transactions. His real estate background includes extensive experience in seniors housing, commercial leasing, clean energy land development and telecommunications financing.
Major public and private companies, pension funds and governmental entities rely upon Ira’s advice in connection with sophisticated real estate joint ventures, mixed-use land development and capital market transactions.
Ira’s representative work includes acting for:
- Welltower Inc. in its joint venture with Chartwell Senior Housing REIT
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture with Axium Infrastructure Inc.
- Brookfield in its acquisition of Enwave, Canada’s largest district heating and cooling enterprise
- Atlantic Power Corporation in its acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.
- The Province of Ontario in connection with the restructuring of Stelco Inc. and Algoma Steel Inc.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in its financing of projects under its Rental Construction Financing Initiative
- Mettrum Health Corp. in its sale to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Cott Corporation in its sale of its soft drink business to Refresco
- Canadian Tire Corporation in its acquisition of the Forzani Group
Ira is recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada for real estate, by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for both property development and project finance, and in the 2019 Lexpert Special Edition - Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers.
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND CHARITY WORK
Ira has published articles and has lectured at the Annual Seniors Housing Forum, the Law Society of Ontario and the Ontario Solar Summit and Expo. Ira is also a contributor to The Canadian REIT Handbook, published by the Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac). Ira volunteers his time in the Out of the Cold Program and participates in the annual Gutsy Walk for Crohns and Colitis Canada.
|Education|| Queen's University (LL.B., 1990)
University of Toronto (B.A., 1987)
Law Society of Ontario
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
|Year of Call||