Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Jarrett Freeman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. His practice encompasses all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions, with an emphasis on merger and acquisition, corporate finance and real estate transactions both domestically and internationally. He also has extensive experience advising real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity funds and other yield-oriented issuers on tax matters.
Jarrett’s representative work includes acting for:
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. in connection with its C$445 million share sale to Onex Corporation
- NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT on various matters, including its joint venture with a large sovereign wealth fund, its acquisition of Generation Healthcare REIT, and its acquisition of the Healthscope portfolio
- Minto Apartment REIT in its $230 million initial public offering
- Pure Industrial REIT in its $3.8 billion acquisition by Blackstone Property Partners and Ivanhoe Cambridge
- Numerex Corp., a leading provider of enterprise solutions, in connection with its US$107 million merger with Sierra Wireless, Inc.
- Mood Media Corporation in its going private transaction involving Apollo Global Management LLC and GSO Capital Partners as sponsors
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc. in its sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Company Ltd.
- Roots Canada Ltd. in its majority stake sale in Roots to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in Hub International’s US$4.4 billion acquisition by Hellman & Friedman LLC.
- Slate Retail REIT in its combination transaction and listing on the TSX
Jarrett is recognized a leading tax practitioner by numerous publications including Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada and The Legal 500 Canada. In 2017 Jarrett was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Jarrett is the author of a number of articles and speaker on a variety of income tax matters, including the taxation of REITs and the SIFT rules. He also works closely with the Joint Committee of Taxation in connection with REIT and land transfer tax matters.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 2004)
Richard Ivey School of Business (HBA, with distinction, 2001)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||